Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 Super & 9x19. Same extractor?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_Allentown View Post
    For maximum reliability you have several choices.

• Fit one extractor for the 9mm and one extractor for the Super

• Use Starline .38 Super Comp brass. It has the same dimensions as regular .38 Super but the rim is the same diameter as the 9mm

• Use Starline .38 TJ brass. It has the same exterior dimensions as regular .38 Super but the extractor bevel is moved slightly forward to help in full length resizing. It too has the same rim diameter as the 9mm
    ^^This. I use SC and TJ brass in my Super. It’s a switch upper gun with 9mm and .38 Super uppers, this way I’m not re-zeroing if I’d just switch barrels.
    I fit a Wilson .38 Super Ejector that works with both 9 and Super brass.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    For maximum reliability you have several choices.

• Fit one extractor for the 9mm and one extractor for the Super

• Use Starline .38 Super Comp brass. It has the same dimensions as regular .38 Super but the rim is the same diameter as the 9mm

• Use Starline .38 TJ brass. It has the same exterior dimensions as regular .38 Super but the extractor bevel is moved slightly forward to help in full length resizing. It too has the same rim diameter as the 9mm
    Then if I get one I shall use one of these.

I don't understand the .38 TJ, though. I normally full-length size brass, but I don't understand the "problem" TJ solves. Not doubting it's made for a reason but I don't get it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I don't understand the .38 TJ, though. I normally full-length size brass, but I don't understand the "problem" TJ solves.
    The idea is that it allows the full length sizing die to do its thing all the way down to the extractor bevel. The extractor bevel on the Super and Super Comp brass is enough closer to the case rim that the die won't reach the last tiny bit of case just ahead of the bevel. To get that last bit of brass sized would require the use of a roll sizer which isn't a cheap piece of machinery.
    Last edited by Steve_in_Allentown; 02-11-23 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The idea is that it allows the full length sizing die to do its thing all the way down to the extractor bevel. The extractor bevel on the Super and Super Comp brass is enough closer to the case rim that the die won't reach the last tiny bit of case just ahead of the bevel. To get that last bit of brass sized would require the use of a roll sizer which isn't a cheap piece of machinery.
    The rationale for this; in the day, in order to make Major with .38 Super we ran some exceptionally HOT ammo (handloads). It was not uncommon for folks still shooting unsupported (non-ramped) barrels to have case heads swell, with this high pressure ammo, to a point it was not possible to size cases well enough that they would chamber reliably after reloading.
    Probably NOT a concern today as the "Major PF" was reduced, and I haven't seen a non-ramped Super barrel in a Gamer's gun in in a couple decades.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I see the benefit of the TJ now, thanks, guys!

Is there any downside to the TJ bevel?

Feedback Score
    Also thanks. I didn't know that.

Feedback Score
    I did some searching.

I didn't find any downsides to using .38 TJ instead of .38 SC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Is there any downside to the TJ bevel?
    A touch less case capacity but not enough to matter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Colt in .38 Super and a Ed Brown 9mm semi drop in barrel. Both work reliably with the super being the one I trust the most but only because it is the original caliber. No change in extractor or ejector for me. With the 9mm barrel in it does not eject as far as it does with super but, the cases do get out. I use the 9mm barrel for local matches like IDPA where power and distance won't be an issue and super when shooting 2 gun where spinners and longer ranges are the order of the day. I zeroed the sights with .38 Super Auto, 130 gr. bullets at 36 yards, the same zero I use for my carbine.

As for magazines: I use dedicated 9mm mags with the 9mm barrel. I tried using my super mags with the 9mm with mixed results. I use Tripp and Wilson super mags and a mix of Tripp, Wilson, Mecgar and Springfield [9 round] for the 9mm. All have been reliable.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 02-13-23 at 08:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    ....with the 9mm barrel. I tried using my super mags with the 9mm with mixed results.
    Any input on why this combination had issues?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast