Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The “PRC’s” 7mm vs 300

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

The “PRC’s” 7mm vs 300

So I’m on the fence of what to do. I’ve been shooting my custom built on a savage action 260 Remington for 5 years, by far my favorite bolt gun and now I have a gas gun to match it. With that said, I really enjoying the 260 gas gun for PRS and out to 1000 over my bolt gun. But I’m wanting something with more “get er done”. I’ve been really thinking about doing a 30-06 build off a savage 110 ultralight but the 7 PRC and 300 PRC really have caught my attention as well.

What do you guys think?

I do roll my own ammo, but the I like the idea of having a rifle that if/when everything shits the bed, I can still go to Wally World or Rural King and raid the ammo area for 06’ or I’ve even seen 300 PRC on shelves.

I know a lot of people who swear by the 7 REM Mag, which is what has me interested in the 7 PRC over 300 PRC, get 7 REM Mag or better performance from a non-belted non-magnum chamber.

I guess what would you guys recommend. Im in no hurry, just doing research
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've thought about this after seeing the new 7mm PRC. I think we are going to see a bit of PRS inspired caliber wars over the next decade, but I'm guessing the PRCs will still be on the shelf after the dust settles. I wouldn't be surprised to see 300 PRC push 300 Win Mag off the shelves, etc. I still think you'll find 30-06, 243, etc, but I expect popular PRS calibers will go mainstream just like 6.5 Creedmoor has.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    6.5 PRC is being pretty common around here. Not at Walmart yet that Ive seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's there by the end of the year. I think the 7 PRC is going to do better than the 300 PRC.

If I were looking at them Id be going with 7 PRC. It will have less recoil and the 180 and 190 class 7mm bullets are going to be phenomenal at range. On the hunting side those heavy 7mms will kill anything you shoot with it.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I was actually mulling this over recently as well. I was pretty well set on going for a 300 PRC until I spent a few days shooting a lot of 300 Win Mag. I was sufficiently "over" 300 Win that when I realized 300 PRC has even more recoil, I lost interest. The 7 PRC seems like a better alternative with a bit less recoil than 300 Win Mag but slightly more than 30-06. As a long range gun, 7mm projectiles have a lot going for them that I find appealing.

The biggest issue is going to be finding a consistent supply of ammunition. It's been several years since 300 PRC came out and it's still hard to find. 7 PRC only gets worse.

Seems like a great opportunity for reloaders, though.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    I've been hunting with 7Rem Mag for years, and just moved to 300 PRC last year (mostly for fun, but also for more energy on big game animals). I might have gone with 7 PRC if it was out when i switched, because i like the 7mm bullet options and have 7mm reloading equipment, but i've been impressed with the 300PRC for accuracy and energy transfer. I shoot the Hornady 225gr ELD Match factory ammo, and it has a .777 G1 BC, and doesn't drop below 900 ft lbs of energy until 2,000 yards, so it definitely hits hard.

In terms of recoil, I thought the 300 PRC would have more honestly, but i'm also running an APA Fat Bastard Gen 3 brake, which mitigates a lot of recoil. With a good brake 300 PRC recoil isn't bad.

I'm not sure if any of that helps answer your question, but the 300 PRC and 7 PRC are definitely a step up in long range energy from the 7 Rem mag. I haven't personally shot a 7 PRC, so i can't really compare the two, but i've been happy moving from the 7 Rem Mag to 300 PRC for long range hunting applications.

Feedback Score
    I’m looking to build a 7prc. Seems to be a great all round, round for any North American medium, and big game. 300 PRC is gonna be overkill for the medium game though.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a 7PRC on the way. Actually I sent one of my 6.5PRC's back to Alamo Precision to have it re-barreled in 7PRC. What started me on this is that I'm going on an Elk hunt in 2024 and originally planned on taking one of my 6.5PRC's. Then I settled on taking a 300WM. I'd take the 6.5PRC as a back up gun. Well last Oct I read the first article on 7PRC and then started doing more research. The 7PRC with 175gr pills actually starts out performing the 300WM pretty quickly. It does it with less recoil also. After looking at quite a few article and then reading first hand results online I ditched taking my 300WM and decided to send in a 6.5PRC to be re-barreled in 7PRC. Ammo is out there. Over the last month or so I've been able to obtain 200 rds of 175gr ELDX. I'm starting to reload so I'll use the brass for future reloading. I should have my rifle back in about 3 months then I'll start shooting it. The 7PRC looks like it will do everything and more than the 300WM at the same bullet weights.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I have a 7PRC on the way. Actually I sent one of my 6.5PRC's back to Alamo Precision to have it re-barreled in 7PRC. What started me on this is that I'm going on an Elk hunt in 2024 and originally planned on taking one of my 6.5PRC's. Then I settled on taking a 300WM. I'd take the 6.5PRC as a back up gun. Well last Oct I read the first article on 7PRC and then started doing more research. The 7PRC with 175gr pills actually starts out performing the 300WM pretty quickly. It does it with less recoil also. After looking at quite a few article and then reading first hand results online I ditched taking my 300WM and decided to send in a 6.5PRC to be re-barreled in 7PRC. Ammo is out there. Over the last month or so I've been able to obtain 200 rds of 175gr ELDX. I'm starting to reload so I'll use the brass for future reloading. I should have my rifle back in about 3 months then I'll start shooting it. The 7PRC looks like it will do everything and more than the 300WM at the same bullet weights.
    That’s what has me interested in 7PRC. It’s 300WM or better performance from a standard long action, no magnum action or belted cartridge to deal with.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    That’s what has me interested in 7PRC. It’s 300WM or better performance from a standard long action, no magnum action or belted cartridge to deal with.
    Exactly. I'm really interested in getting a hold of some Berger 196gr EOL's and see if I can get a good load worked up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Exactly. I'm really interested in getting a hold of some Berger 196gr EOL's and see if I can get a good load worked up.
    Im curious. Id like to see how far this can be pushed. Im considering over 6.5prc for elr.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast