Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The “PRC’s” 7mm vs 300

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Im curious. Id like to see how far this can be pushed. Im considering over 6.5prc for elr.
    Same here. I have a range near by that goes out to a mile and I want to shoot both my 6.5PRC and 7PRC there. I would think the 7PRC is going to have an easier time of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Same here. I have a range near by that goes out to a mile and I want to shoot both my 6.5PRC and 7PRC there. I would think the 7PRC is going to have an easier time of it.
    Yeah, the 7 should be transonic right around a mile.
    Though Im betting these bullets will still be accurate in the subsonic zone.

I want to hit at 2k, but I need to buy land first.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yeah, the 7 should be transonic right around a mile.
    Though Im betting these bullets will still be accurate in the subsonic zone.

I want to hit at 2k, but I need to buy land first.
    I just ran the numbers for Hornady's 180gr Match on their calculator and it is still Supersonic out to 2K. Actually just a bit faster at 1169fps. Last night I got a call from Alamo Precision and my rifle will be done with the re-barrel next week. A lot quicker than what I was expecting. I'll be headed to the range soon thereafter. I have a NF NX8 4x32 I'm going to mount on it.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 02-23-23 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I just ran the numbers for Hornady's 180gr Match on their calculator and it is still Supersonic out to 2K. Actually just a bit faster at 1169fps. Last night I got a call from Alamo Precision and my rifle will be done with the re-barrel next week. A lot quicker than what I was expecting. I'll be headed to the range soon thereafter. I have a NF NX8 4x32 I'm going to mount on it.
    Nice! What was your muzzle velocity and G1?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The guys at Alamo are great. Have a Maverick in 6.5 PRC and thinking my next one will be a Maverick in 7 PRC. We have thumped a lot of Elk with 7 RM and the PRC will just be a touch better. I'm planning to give it maybe another year before I order though. Let the dust settle. It sucked getting my 6.5 PRC during the ammo and reloading shortages and being "ammo challenged".

Honestly there are not a lot of guns out there yet in 7 PRC.

The 300 has a certain "merica badass magnum yeah" appeal but upon analysis I think the magnum 7's are the sweet spot for longer range larger game.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 02-23-23 at 20:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was recently reading an "Outdoor Life" article where the 7 PRC needed around 5.9 mils to get to 1K. That is pretty amazing.

I have to think the PRC cartridges are going to take off. I talk to new shooters often from the Gen Z cohort, and they are about science/performance and not really heritage. Their numbers who showing interest in shooting also seem to be growing. For that matter, even the old guys are enjoying advancements in cartridges. A lot of guys tinker and want hobbies and chasing the most efficient is a part of that hobby. If that is any indication of what the future holds, the PRCs should see some strength. As one who has messed with belted magnums for 25 years, I encourage people to go to the non belted, especially the PRCs with their factory ammo support.

As to the 7 PRC, again there is a lot to like, especially for new shooters. Not sure I could justify the 6.5PRC (assuming long action) or the 300 PRC when the .284 PRC is available. I hand load for 5.56, 6mm ARC, 6.5 CM, 270 win, 308 and 300 win mag. I enjoy it, but sometimes I would like to trade all my bolt gun handloading for one caliber.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Nice! What was your muzzle velocity and G1?
    I used the data on Hornady's sight. So those are factory numbers and data for the 180gr Match ammo.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I do believe 7PRC is gonna be the way I go.

This AR10 in 260 just doesn't shoot like my bolt gun did (made the mistake of selling it) so I'm gonna sell the Wilson Combat 20in 260 Barrel I have in it and replace it with 308 barrel and just be done with 260 (that being said, anyone need 260 Remington Ammo? I'll make a good deal on 257rds of Fed Gold Medal Match 142gr and 560rds of 130gr Hornady ELD Match) and make 7PRC my go told Bolt Action for ELR and to fill the roll of everything past what I'll be setting this AR10 up for once I get a 308 barrel for it.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Here's the new 7mmPRC. Actually it started out as a 6.5PRC that I had re-barreled to 7PRC. At this point I have a Leupold VX6HD 3-18 on it. However, I have a NF NX8 4-32 and I may swap it over to this rifle.

7prc.jpg
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 04-05-23 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    That’s what has me interested in 7PRC. It’s 300WM or better performance from a standard long action, no magnum action or belted cartridge to deal with.
    Never shot the PRC, but we've been on the 300 WM for many years. Not sure what the issue with the belted cartridge is though. I do have to run the Larry Willis collet die every so often, but big deal! It's not like we shoot 50 rounds per week.

Orkan (used to post here) also didn't like the belted cartridge, but it's never bothered me a bit. I like running cartridges solidly on the beaten path. 6.5cm, 308, 300wm, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast