Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5E3 Tweed Deluxe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never heard of anyone building their own amp. I don't know why, it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

At one time I was interested in building my own bass guitar.
    I never did but I'd like to look into building a bass amp.

Are kits available, or do these need to be built from scratch?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I only have 10 amps, no Marshall’s yet and that is probably a huge gap.
    Of their recent production amps, the DSL line are a really solid value. The 40w combo (DSL40CR) is killer and can be reliably found for a solid price on the used market. If you like the more classic JMP/JCM sound, I can't recommend the DSL enough.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
    I've never heard of anyone building their own amp. I don't know why, it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

There's actually a really strong DIY community for building amps. Companies like Mojotone, Stew Mac, and Ceriatone sell amp kits and forums like Amp Garage are useful resources.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post

Kits, I prefer MojoTone as the components are of higher quality.

You can build from scratch as well, but I’m trying to recreate and replace real vintage amps I sold like an idiot years ago. Which is one of the reasons I never sell guns.

It’s fun, satisfying and far less expensive than plopping down the coin to replace a real vintage amp these days.

When I’m done, you’ll be hard pressed to tell this amp from the real deal and it will sound exactly the same if not better.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Pink Taco or Runt?
    Taco!!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've thought about buying a Ceriatone 20w JCM 800 kit to build, but not sure if I actually have the time and patience to see it through.
    I saw that JCM 800 kit, and thought about it, but It's not my thing. I wish I was an electrical skilled person.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Of their recent production amps, the DSL line are a really solid value. The 40w combo (DSL40CR) is killer and can be reliably found for a solid price on the used market. If you like the more classic JMP/JCM sound, I can't recommend the DSL enough.
    I’m 100% a vintage snob.

I can’t easily maintain PCB amps. So if it isn’t PTP wired, I don’t want it.

Not willing to lay out cash for a custom PTP amp, as I could just build it myself.

So that’s what I do…….

My 5E8A ‘57 Twin amp rattles the walls and sounds great.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's actually a really strong DIY community for building amps. Companies like Mojotone, Stew Mac, and Ceriatone sell amp kits and forums like Amp Garage are useful resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Kits, I prefer MojoTone as the components are of higher quality.

You can build from scratch as well, but I’m trying to recreate and replace real vintage amps I sold like an idiot years ago. Which is one of the reasons I never sell guns.

It’s fun, satisfying and far less expensive than plopping down the coin to replace a real vintage amp these days.

When I’m done, you’ll be hard pressed to tell this amp from the real deal and it will sound exactly the same if not better.
    Thanks for the response and info, it gives me someplace to start.
    I've learned the hard way not to sell guns as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just buy an AX FX!!!

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Just buy an AX FX!!!
    I did that. Twice. (Technically an Axe FX II and an FM3...)

I spent more time messing with IRs and endlessly tweaking instead of just playing. Paralysis in analysis, and all that. If I were gigging more frequently and just wanted to run to FOH, I'd go Helix. A guitarist I jam with has one and it's much more user friendly than the Fractal stuff.

If I recorded at home, either the Helix or Axe Fx would be perfect.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast