Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 in Home Defense

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For now we will train to charge the Scorpion and maybe upgrade the charging handle a bit. While I'll stick to what I have for now, the capability of the 5.7 is radically different to the 22 Mag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    For now we will train to charge the Scorpion and maybe upgrade the charging handle a bit. While I'll stick to what I have for now, the capability of the 5.7 is radically different to the 22 Mag.
    Barely.

The 9x19 Lehigh bullets loaded hot will do the same thing. So can .300 Blk. And .357 magnum JSP (rifle or ?) and .30 Carbine JSP and others. I was just listing the easy-to-shoot ones.

The 5.7 just seems to have the worst rep of all of those. I'm not trying to pick on the cartridge you're interested in to just be a jerk. It was introduced, starred in actual life & death plays, and was eventually pulled off stage for poor performance.

And, it's expensive. And even more expensive than that if you want the top tier stuff. Or you have to load your own.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I personally would choose a 9mm over a 5.7 but its inaccurate to say a 22 magnum is close to the 5.7. A 10 inch barreled 5.7 has significantly higher velocity than the 22 magnum from a rifle length (i.e. 20+ in) barrel. A 22 magnum velocity from a pistol is very close to 22 LR from a rifle.

Admittedly, compared to 5.56 the 5.7 and 22 mag look a lot closer.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I personally would choose a 9mm over a 5.7 but its inaccurate to say a 22 magnum is close to the 5.7. A 10 inch barreled 5.7 has significantly higher velocity than the 22 magnum from a rifle length (i.e. 20+ in) barrel. A 22 magnum velocity from a pistol is very close to 22 LR from a rifle.

Andy
    10-4.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Andy
    Im a fan of 22 mag for small game and such, but for sure, 5.7 is superior all around. As 5.7 is not going away, ammo manufacturers have developed rnds with improved terminal ballistics, but for HD/SD, I'd still take 9mm carbine but even 5.6 PDW has superior terminal ballistics with the right choice of rnd. No doubt, 300blk appears best choice but I personally avoid niche bullets in search of perfection vs $ and availability.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I like the 5.7x28, and I'm glad there are more options for it today in both firearms and ammo. It's a neat round and fun to shoot, although the current cost makes that a little less appealing than in the past. I'd use it for HD in a pinch, but there are certainly a better options for most. They've been covered here already, it would seem.

This is all trending toward becoming a moot point here, though. Now that NM is getting read to make self-defense with a firearm an automatic forth-degree felony, looks like we'll be switching to sharp sticks for HD...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    … 5.7 has significantly higher velocity than the 22 magnum…
    And?

Abstract numbers like velocity do not tell us the amount of damage and depth of penetration a bullet causes.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    And?

Abstract numbers like velocity do not tell us the amount of damage and depth of penetration a bullet causes.
    Its pretty obvious that nothing in my post advocated using the 5.7 for anything.

It is simply not factual to say a 22 mag and 5.7 are close.

If we discount velocity, there is no difference between a 5.7 and a 5.56 using light bullets.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-20-23 at 00:18.

Feedback Score
    FN sent us P90's to test back in the day, to put it simply it sucked on real targets. You know it was bad when the guys using it for real wanted to go back to micro or mini Uzis with 9mm ball.

My home defense long gun is an 11.5 AR in 5.56, backed up by my 6 inch jackal as it has been named in 357 sig with Leighi 65 grain bullets at 2300fps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am not advocating for 5.7 and am not adding it to the mix for now. WHile I don't own a 22 WMR I would think that the 5.7 bullet construction is also a tad different. Most 22 mag I've seen are like their 22 LR brothers...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast