Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5.7 in Home Defense

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    If we discount velocity, there is no difference between a 5.7 and a 5.56 using light bullets.
    Unless we do something totally unheard of, like test it in a calibrated tissue simulant and see how much damage each cause.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Unless we do something totally unheard of, like test it in a calibrated tissue simulant and see how much damage each cause.
    Assuming projectiles optimized for their respective velocities, we can both predict which will cause more damage.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Except there is no optimal bullet for 5.7, because like the .380 it lacks the energy for both expansion and deep enough penetration.

Thus my point, a non expanding 5.7 has about the same wounding potential as a .22 mag.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    To be clear I couldn't agree more, Todd.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Except there is no optimal bullet for 5.7, because like the .380 it lacks the energy for both expansion and deep enough penetration.

Thus my point, a non expanding 5.7 has about the same wounding potential as a .22 mag.
    Welll....the Lehigh Defense pistol bullets have been testing well in a few cartridges.

Perhaps one designed for 5.7 would be worthwhile? But then again, being solid copper, they are long-for-the-weight bullets and may not work with the 5.7 case / rifling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123