Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Submitting CMP 1911 Packet

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Submitting CMP 1911 Packet

I drug my feet on the first two rounds and for quite a while on round 3 as well. Missing the first two rounds was costly, as CMP raised their prices quite a bit.

I am finally putting a packet together and submitting it. I am not a 1911 or military rifle collector, but I definitely appreciate the historical significance behind the issued pistols and one would be a nice companion to my 1903s and M1s.

I am a bit lost when it comes to which grade to pick, assuming I even have a choice when my number comes up. My thought is that I need to leave the pistol as it comes, other than perhaps replacing a recoil spring. Its hard for me to leave well enough alone, of course.

To me, the value is the hands the gun has been through and the places it may have been.

Anyway, wish me luck and when it finally shows up, please help me understand what I have.

Andy

P.S. Being retired mil really simplifies all CMP firearm purchases.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-17-23 at 06:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good luck!

I applied at the end of September or October, receiving random generated number 36981.

Some guys got the call from CMP to pick the grade they wanted and chose "Range grade," or the lowest/cheapest tier (typically advertised as being out-of-spec, possibly altered and with civilian and/or after-market parts).

They received Delta Operator turn-ins from the phase-out from .45s to Glock 22s.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've nearly done it three times, but every time I get to the onerous whoops I get ticked off and don't do it. Notarization? Seriously?

I may still end up doing it, since I now have more time on my hands.

Is that yours sinister or are you still waiting?

Best of luck. I hope you get a rare one with a nice finish.

I'd really like to get the one I carried topside, but obviously won't happen. Maybe getting one that was on a boat is the best I could hope for.........
    Last edited by HKGuns; 02-17-23 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nah, not mine. I had two built when I was at the USAMU, gave them away to buddies.

Like you I want a plain-Jane like I had going into Haiti. Since around 1988 most of my issued pistols have been 9mms.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would also like a plain jane pistol. Finish that shows honest use is fine with me. I just want a GI pistol to keep my '03s and M1s company.

Should I be concerned about shooting it? I have no interest in reselling it.

Andy

P.S. I wouldn't even cry with this one: https://imgur.io/a/BWTwO3J
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-18-23 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    They should all be shooters. They're in the condition they were in when they went into war storage.

If they came back from the force with major problems (cracked slides, worn-out or pitted barrels) they were brought back to issue standard before being stored away.

The example photo you posted shows a 1960s-90s era GI replacement hard slide that was heat-treated better than 1940s WWII war production guns. They'll shoot a long, long time.

Feedback Score
    I drug my feet as well but have a packet in now. I've bought several Garands at the north store but I've never mail ordered. The rack grades on the CMP forums look pretty good currently, but I'm going for highest grade available since it's a one and done deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Submitting CMP 1911 Packet

I got mine last week. Got the call on Thursday afternoon & was offered Field, Range, & Rack. I chose a Field. Showed up at my FFL less than 24 hours later.
    From what I’m seeing on the CMP forum is that the lower grades seem to have more provenance. Any grade can have mismatched slides/frames so hard core collectors may take issue with that.
    I’m very happy with mine. I just dig the history.
    Last edited by Ryno12; 04-20-23 at 19:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Gunsmith friend of mine got me going on it in the first round, and ended up getting the call in the first draw. Never got a random number assigned. First time
    I have ever got the call. Ithaca frame/Colt slide 1943 issue Service grade

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I started the thread with a packet ready to go and highly motivated. I had a death in the family and one thing led to another. I never submitted the packet (its literally still in my truck). I think the CMP program is a great way to own a piece of history, but am going to stick to rifles.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast