Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trunk armor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Trunk armor

We've all talked about the trunk gun concepts and uses, Im looking into a sort of quick on PC for the trunk.
    Ive already decided on hesco L210 10x12 SC.

Im having trouble with deciding on a carrier and how much more than a spare mag and a med kit is actually needed.
    I have an old mayflower APC with level 4 plates for if things really hit the fan and I dont want a stray when Im getting out of town.

Need some ideas

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I thought I remember people saying composite plates don't do well in trunks during hot summers. Is that still a thing? I've got a set of level 3 plates in a light BFG carrier that I keep ready to go with me, but I don't leave them in my rig. Curious what people have to contribute.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I thought I remember people saying composite plates don't do well in trunks during hot summers. Is that still a thing? I've got a set of level 3 plates in a light BFG carrier that I keep ready to go with me, but I don't leave them in my rig. Curious what people have to contribute.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Yes its still a thing, unless they've made some kind of advancement in adhesive technology that I don't know about, your armor will absolutely degrade if kept in a hot car.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Yes its still a thing, unless they've made some kind of advancement in adhesive technology that I don't know about, your armor will absolutely degrade if kept in a hot car.
    Which kind of armor?, ceramic?, kevlar? plastic?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    What is plastic armor?

This is probably an argument for a tac shield if we're really going down this rabbit hole.

ETA - also, you could just google this.
    Last edited by Wake27; 02-26-23 at 10:01.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What is plastic armor?

This is probably an argument for a tac shield if we're really going down this rabbit hole.

ETA - also, you could just google this.
    Plastic is not good for weather.
    https://www.ar500armor.com/knowledge...oly-armor.html
    Last edited by Sidneyious; 02-26-23 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    That's what makes steel so much better.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    We've all talked about the trunk gun concepts and uses, Im looking into a sort of quick on PC for the trunk.
    Ive already decided on hesco L210 10x12 SC.

Im having trouble with deciding on a carrier and how much more than a spare mag and a med kit is actually needed.
    I have an old mayflower APC with level 4 plates for if things really hit the fan and I dont want a stray when Im getting out of town.

Need some ideas
    For that use, id look at a slick carrier (trex ac1 or ferro slickster)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What plate are you looking at? Plastic, do you mean uhmwpe?

Alot of the newer "ceramic" plates are a just a ceramic face place with a uhmwpe or compressed kevlar backer laminated to the back of it. So even these "ceramic" plates will degrade in hot temps.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    That's what makes steel so much better.
    If you wanted to be 100% safe leaving armor in your car then sure, but you also might catch frag in your face if you actually had to use it.

'
    If you were looking at an L210 then it absolutely has a uhmwpe backer that will degrade under high temps.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-28-23 at 19:46.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Trunk armor

I wouldn’t hesitate at keeping steel plates in a vehicle. In fact, that’s what I keep in mine. I keep mine in a black pc that is commonly seen being worn by crossfiters. I use mine for trail running more than I use it for gunfight. The biggest knock on steel is spalling. Maybe some don’t know or intentionally don’t mention is you can put your steel plates in Kevlar bags made to contain any spall that finds it’s way out of the coating. Now I hope to god I don’t ever have to find out, but I don’t envision a piece of copper jacket finding it’s way through the double coating on my plates, then through the Kevlar bag they’re in, then passing through my pc and ending up in my carotid artery. I carry enough gear in and out of my house to my truck every day and I don’t feel like adding my real pc to the mix. The steel ones just live on the floor behind my driver’s seat. My bags were actually made by a member here.
    D-R is his handle.

https://drmorgear.wordpress.com/2014...ogged-25-days/

https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2014/0...-spall-guards/
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 02-28-23 at 20:39.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast