Thread: Interesting predicament - detachable carry handle won’t come off?

Feedback Score

Interesting predicament - detachable carry handle won’t come off?

So I got a new milspec carry handle, and attached it to a flattop upper. I added a dab of blue loctite to each screw, and tightened the thumbnuts to a little more than snug. Later I wanted to remove the carry handle, so I loosened the thumbscrews and proceeded to try and lift the carry handle off the upper - nothing happened. It wouldn’t budge. I have no idea what the hells happening here - my best guess is maybe when the loctite hardened, some excess got between the clamp and rail and hardened? Do you guys have any idea how I can get this damn thing off, or do I now have a de facto fixed carry handle upper?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Interesting predicament - detachable carry handle won’t come off?

Blue locktite isn’t permanent, so it can pretty easily be removed. It probably seeped between the carry handle and the upper. It the nuts really are loose, then one option is to strike the carry handle with a plastic mallet to break the bond. Another is to use a heat gun or hair dryer to apply heat to the nuts and junction between the sight and upper below the nuts, which will soften the locktite.
    Last edited by grizzman; 02-19-23 at 02:12.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Is the plate clear and loose? If not, that may be what's holding it on. Using the plastic or rubber mallet, strike the loosened thumb nuts(left -right) and that should loosen them so you can "tip" off the handle once the plate is loose and the right side wedge is free.

For future reference, they are called thumb nuts for a reason and please do not use loctite, it's not necessary.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Knock the hell out of it with your preferred tool, block of wood, etc. Or heat up with a hot hair dryer, heat gun, etc.

Feedback Score
    For future reference, they are called thumb nuts for a reason and please do not use loctite, it's not necessary.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I use a quarter in the slot and tighten an extra 1/4 turn snug, that's it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Is the plate clear and loose? If not, that may be what's holding it on. Using the plastic or rubber mallet, strike the loosened thumb nuts(left -right) and that should loosen them so you can "tip" off the handle once the plate is loose and the right side wedge is free.

For future reference, they are called thumb nuts for a reason and please do not use loctite, it's not necessary.
    This worked, thank you.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Excellent! Glad it worked out. You can do two things-As a matter of habit for a pre fire check, give each one a "snug" check or witness mark them and visually verify.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!