Thread: Remington 870 Home Defense

Feedback Score

Remington 870 Home Defense

Previously called the "Hardwood Home Defense" model, or "870 Tactical" on the box label. Their basic extended mag HD model. This is the "new" Remington, so I wasn't sure to expect but it looks nicely done. Ran some dummy rounds through it and cycling and extraction seemed fine. Remington bills the furniture as walnut, but I'm not sure if it's real walnut or just walnut stained.

Sling is a Blue Force Gear hunting sling. I know that aluminum-receivered shotguns are quite successful (Mossberg and Winchester) but to me a steel receiver just feels solid.

Feedback Score
    Very classic looking gun.

Word on the street is the new Rem Arms guns are a bit better than the old Remington guns. I know there have been some minor design changes, like with the shape of the front of the ejector.

Feedback Score
    I really like the classic wood/blued look. Mossburg 590 Retro looks great also. Let us know how it runs!

Feedback Score
    I got a Rem870 when i turned 12 (almost 28 years ago now), and abused the heck out of it. I killed literally hundreds of ducks with that gun, not to mention geese, pheasants, rabbits, etc, and it always served me well. It wasn't flawless on extraction, and would sometimes get jammed up in the marsh, but those were pretty dirty conditions. All in all, the Rem870 is a great shotgun for the price, and it's good to hear they are making some improvements on the newer ones.

I have since moved on to other shotguns for hunting and tactical, like the Beretta 1301, but the ol 870 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Feedback Score
    Haven't heard if Remarms is making the 870 Police models again.

Feedback Score
    Post 5,
    I've been wondering the same thing regarding whether there will ever be any 870 Police versions again.
    Right now, Remarms appears to have seven 870 models associated with its "Tactical" line-up, which slightly differs from its "Home Defense" associated models, but with over-lapping models. read

It seems unclear to me how "tactical" is even different from "home defense" purposes.
    My thoughts & feelings are Remarms is taking too long to get its company focus, product line, parts, service, and perhaps distribution going.

But comparing to Mossberg and Beretta (and Benelli), Mossberg and Beretta seem to also be slow to get going with the vague "supply chain" excuses or causes.

I know I'm tired of the lack of inventory for shotguns in stores, but glad I'm comfortable with the four shotguns I have from before "Covid". I have seen some Mossberg 930 models in my LGSs and wonder if those shops are stuck with some older/undesireable inventory and hesitant to spend money on any more shotgun inventory which may be prove difficult for them to move/sell.