Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMCOMM

Feedback Score

EMCOMM

So there were a couple of Comms related threads here, but they seemed to have fallen apart and have not had any real use in a long time...

Comms is something that is very important to me, but it just seems that far too many forum posts, videos, etc. are more about "getting into amateur radio" than they are about using comms equipment in a disaster/emergency situation - so I decided to close those old threads and start a new one to talk about EMCOMM, and how it applies to the average person in a less than ideal situation.

And just like that... I am back
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Happy to see it consolidated. The impulse to say, "Go get your amateur ticket" is fine- but you actually have to practice doing it. The ticket just lets you legally key the mic, and says nothing about actually learning to communicate well, improvise antennas, or work different modes.

For instance, until I saw it talked about in NC Scout's book- I hadn't ever seen an example of a good comms plan and didn't know you could hook up an Android tablet to a cheap Baofeng UV-5r and work with digital messaging.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    I got into comms for my other hobby of off roading, but have only delved into GMRS for that purpose rather than the full dive into HAM. Cheap FCC license good for 10 years for the family.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the number of available repeaters for public use here on GMRS even though my primary use case is vehicle to vehicles comms and would rarely need repeaters. I'm not really interested in talking across the country or the world for fun.

GMRS has also come in very handy for keeping in touch with my kids across the ski resort. FRS is too weak but I can connect with my son quite reliably on the mountain with a full 5 watt GMRS handheld.

I'm a fan of Not a Rubicon Productions on youtube for his excellent reviews and hilarious pontificating on the subject of GMRS: https://youtube.com/@TheNotaRubicon

He lives in commiefornia but does his product reviews on tekmat gun mats that have gun schematics on them.
    Last edited by B52U; 02-20-23 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    Maybe you broke the thread by mentioning Not a Rubicon 😆

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    Maybe you broke the thread by mentioning Not a Rubicon
    Apparently so. Is everyone in this thread a Sad Ham?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The topic of EMCOMM popped onto my radar a bit ago and I've been digging into it. I was originally leaning towards getting a Technician license, but to be honest, the situation with HAM seems like it's largely a bunch of grumpy 70+ year-old white guys with nothing to say gatekeeping "their" channels and bootlicking the FCC. That doesn't sound like any fun.

SO...New plan is to go GRMS-only and call it a day. It'll be more than enough for what I need to do, and with the proliferation of repeaters it seems just as flexible as Technician-level HAM, minus all the bullshit. Plus, the overarching goal isn't to pick up another expensive hobby.

I submitted the license app a bit ago. For radios, I'm probably gonna grab a Radioddity GM-30 and an Baofeng UV-9G to start and then maybe bump up to a Wouxun KG-UV9G down the line after I mess with it a bit. We'll see how it goes.

And yeah...Not a Rubicon is awesome!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    The topic of EMCOMM popped onto my radar a bit ago and I've been digging into it. I was originally leaning towards getting a Technician license, but to be honest, the situation with HAM seems like it's largely a bunch of grumpy 70+ year-old white guys with nothing to say gatekeeping "their" channels and bootlicking the FCC. That doesn't sound like any fun.

SO...New plan is to go GRMS-only and call it a day. It'll be more than enough for what I need to do, and with the proliferation of repeaters it seems just as flexible as Technician-level HAM, minus all the bullshit. Plus, the overarching goal isn't to pick up another expensive hobby.

I submitted the license app a bit ago. For radios, I'm probably gonna grab a Radioddity GM-30 and an Baofeng UV-9G to start and then maybe bump up to a Wouxun KG-UV9G down the line after I mess with it a bit. We'll see how it goes.

And yeah...Not a Rubicon is awesome!
    Lord Xenu approves!
    Last edited by B52U; 11-20-23 at 13:46.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    GMRS for EMCOMM, your definition of EMCOMM must be very different than mine.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    GMRS for EMCOMM, your definition of EMCOMM must be very different than mine.
    Please elaborate on your emcomm definition. What do you envision as the scenario?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Long term grid down. What does GMRS give you that a cell phone doesn't?
    Last edited by mack7.62; 11-20-23 at 17:15.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast