Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPR Optic Options

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SPR Optic Options

Hello,

I'm currently building up 2 Mk12 rifles, a Mod 0 and a Mod 1. I'm in search of an optic setup for each. I'm not 'cloning' necessarily, but I would like to stick with the GWOT-vibes of the Mk12 with a modern optic / mount. I've never shot at long range, so these rifles will be the equipment I use to learn how to shoot at longer distances outside about 100 yards.

Budget isn't unlimited; but I also don't want a cheap optic, or anything 'Made in China'. I'm looking for high quality options, but as a new long range shooter I probably also don't need a $5000 top of the line optic... especially on a 5.56mm gun. If it takes a little bit of saving to buy a nice optic the first time, I'll do it.

So here's the options I'm looking at so far.

- Trijicon Credo 2-10x36. A more compact scope, I'm considering this for the Mod 0, with ARMS 22M rings. I have a TA01NSN ACOG and love it, so I'm confident in the Trijicon quality. is the Credo of the same quality as the ACOG?

- Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm. Slightly nicer glass, I'm considering this for the Mod 1, with either ARMS 22M rings or LaRue LT123 rings. I gather that this is one of the preferred scopes for SPR style rifles currently?

- Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm. This seems like a much higher end scope, with FFP and many reticle options (that's a whole different topic I need to learn about). Is this too much scope for a Mk12 Mod 1 SPR / DMR type weapon? I'm guessing the ARMS 22M or LT123 rings would work here as well.

Thoughts? Don't be afraid to beat me up if these are bad options. I'd like to put good glass on these rifles so I can just focus on training with them. Let me know what worked for you and what didn't!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Winner
    Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10x44 FFP Rifle Scope

Disqualified
    Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 Parallax Adjustment:None
    Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm Reticle Position:Second Focal Plane
    Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm too much mag for a SPR

Last edited by mack7.62; 02-20-23 at 05:35.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went with a NF 2.5-10x42 on my 18" with a NF mount.
    I don't feel handicapped with a SFP scope and do like the reticle staying the same size on lower power which I do use a bit.
    I'm not really ranging with it and if I do it's either on max power or on 5, which is easy enough to figure out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was going to open a thread about the same topic. I just sent in for a stamp for an SBR that I’m building. Will be 10.5” LMT 300BLK suppressed. Currently I run a T2 on my KAC 16”. I was debating switching that to the SBR, and getting the Nightforce ATACR 1-8. I wanted the closest I can get to a do it all optic and still have the red dot capability. Would anyone recommend using the NF on the KAC or the SBR build and why?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Might want to wait and see what the Leupold Mark 5 HD 2-10 looks like. It's on my list to replace an old vortex 2-10 I have, just waiting on better reticles from Leupold
    nawai

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navymid2011 View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently building up 2 Mk12 rifles, a Mod 0 and a Mod 1. I'm in search of an optic setup for each. I'm not 'cloning' necessarily, but I would like to stick with the GWOT-vibes of the Mk12 with a modern optic / mount. I've never shot at long range, so these rifles will be the equipment I use to learn how to shoot at longer distances outside about 100 yards.

Budget isn't unlimited; but I also don't want a cheap optic, or anything 'Made in China'. I'm looking for high quality options, but as a new long range shooter I probably also don't need a $5000 top of the line optic... especially on a 5.56mm gun. If it takes a little bit of saving to buy a nice optic the first time, I'll do it.

So here's the options I'm looking at so far.

- Trijicon Credo 2-10x36. A more compact scope, I'm considering this for the Mod 0, with ARMS 22M rings. I have a TA01NSN ACOG and love it, so I'm confident in the Trijicon quality. is the Credo of the same quality as the ACOG?

- Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42mm. Slightly nicer glass, I'm considering this for the Mod 1, with either ARMS 22M rings or LaRue LT123 rings. I gather that this is one of the preferred scopes for SPR style rifles currently?

- Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm. This seems like a much higher end scope, with FFP and many reticle options (that's a whole different topic I need to learn about). Is this too much scope for a Mk12 Mod 1 SPR / DMR type weapon? I'm guessing the ARMS 22M or LT123 rings would work here as well.

Thoughts? Don't be afraid to beat me up if these are bad options. I'd like to put good glass on these rifles so I can just focus on training with them. Let me know what worked for you and what didn't!
    I have an ATACR 4-16X42 on a 16 AR and love it. If you want to stretch out the gun like it can be stretched, that is your Huckleberry. The NXS would probably be more clone appropriate but the eye relief on that scope is not so great.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Might want to wait and see what the Leupold Mark 5 HD 2-10 looks like. It's on my list to replace an old vortex 2-10 I have, just waiting on better reticles from Leupold
    That's the problem, Leupold, Vortex and Nightforce 2x10 range scopes all need better reticles, I think they got caught up in the 1x8/10 craze and have really negated the 2x10's.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    That's the problem, Leupold, Vortex and Nightforce 2x10 range scopes all need better reticles, I think they got caught up in the 1x8/10 craze and have really negated the 2x10's.
    I chatted with them on that exact topic and they are working on it. Will probably have better reticles on the 2-10 in a few months or they said you can always use the custom shop.

But I agree, that has always been Leupold's problem. They make great scopes but their reticles SUCK!
    nawai

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I’ve got a NF SHV 4-14x50mm F1 first focal plane on my LMT MWS. It’s a great optic. I ran it a DMR class in ‘21 and it was perfect. For around $1,200 the NF SHV is to beat.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SPR Optic Options

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I chatted with them on that exact topic and they are working on it. Will probably have better reticles on the 2-10 in a few months or they said you can always use the custom shop.

But I agree, that has always been Leupold's problem. They make great scopes but their reticles SUCK!
    Isn’t Leupold’s Custom Shop still closed….or are you referring to Vortex or Nightforce?
    Last edited by grizzman; 02-20-23 at 14:21.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast