Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SPR Optic Options

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navymid2011 View Post
    So, given the feedback here;

Instead of the Trijicon 2-10 Credo without Parallax adjustment, I'm now looking at the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15 which as an adjustable parallax. I trust Trijicon more than I trust Vortex or Primary Arms, especially anything made in China. I'm new enough to long range shooting that I don't know if I prefer first or second focal plane, so the only answer is to try both. At $850, the Credo 2.5-15x42 seems like a pretty good starter optic for SPR type shooting while I shop for a FFP alternative for the second SPR.

Lets not forget either, the original SPR optic, the Leupold MR/T was a SFP scope...

Any feedback on the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42?
    I was not dazzled by the Trijicon Credo's glass. Just a heads up the Leupold MR/T came out in 2002. I really only like or tolerate SFP for hunting. For tactical shooting, I much prefer FFP especially if I have a xmass tree.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    And you need a side parallax adjust on a 2-10 power scope for exactly what purpose?? If you only shooting a paper target you could be right. If you shooting fast a multiple target at various ranges tweeking your parallax knob is a waste of time.

No 1-10 LPVO's have side parallax adjustment, do you disqualify those as well??

The only 2-10ish MVPO's that have side parallax adjustment are: Chinese made Athlon 2-12x44mm FFP 26 oz, Vortex PST FFP 2-10x36mm FFP (@ nearly 27 oz), Nightforce's 2.5-10x42 SFP 20.5 oz at a $1600. price point, and PA's GLx FFP 2.5-10x44mm 22.5 oz. with a low 35 ft FOV, that is sold out in the MIL version until June 2023.

The much loved Nightforce 2.5-10x24mm nor the 2.5-10x32mm had side parallax adjustment, nor did the original SPR scope the Leupold 2.5-8x36mm nor does the SWFA Super Sniper FFP 3-9x44mm. All those preceded the current crop of MVPO's by at least a decade. Oh, and Leupold's newest MARK 5HD 2-10X30 M5C3 FFP doesn't have a side focus either, but illumination will cost you $500. extra.

Maybe, just maybe, a side focus isn't nearly as necessary as you think on a 10x max magnification scope and Trijicon may have the right idea after all. Just saying.....
    The March 1-10 shorty has adjustable parallax. And one of the downsides to the Razor 1-10 is that the image isn’t that sharp at extended distances. An adjustable parallax would help.

But further, when you increase the objective lens size, parallax adjustment becomes more important, all other things in the scope being equal. So, LPVOs with 24mm objectives don’t need it as much as a 32-50mm objective.

But scopes aren’t just used for either paper targets or rapid shooting at targets. They are also used for observation, and being able to focus precisely is very helpful when you start getting above 8x.
    Last edited by PappyM3; 02-27-23 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    In my experience, I would recommend the following Scopes:
    Low Magnification - Atacr 1-8 or NX8 on a budget
    Medium Magnification - Leupold Mk5 2-10
    High Magnification - Leupold MK5 3.8-18

Honorable mentions would be the NX8 2.5-20

I would also recommend a 12 o'clock mounted red dot or an offset your degree choosing.

I love the atacr 4-16 and 4-20 but they are really large on a small frame 556 SPR. I started there and then migrated to shorter and lighter glass options. I have hundreds of hours on all the above glass and many others on 556 and other larger gas/bolt platforms. I don't check this site often, but feel free to message me any questions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234