Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 7.62x39 AR15 available again CR6762

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    It is funny. Colt stopped offering a 7.62x39 AR15 over 25 years ago. Ever since, people have been wanting Colt to offer them again. Now that the price of 7.62x39 has gone up, they have.
    I had one of those early Colts like that and sold it. No plans whatsoever to buy another.

Regardless of how nice the barrel is - If you are shooting crappy comblock ammo out of it you will get the crappy comblock ammo results on paper. If you are not reloading for yours then you are missing out.

Feedback Score
    I have crappy comblock copper jacketed and regular brass cased ammunition. I'll try both. I reload too.

Oddly enough, this rifle has an A1 flash hider.
    Last edited by Bret; 03-24-23 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    I have crappy comblock copper jacketed and regular brass cased ammunition. I'll try both. I reload too.

Oddly enough, this rifle has an A1 flash hider.
    You should be golden then.

I think I gave $300 or so for my complete Colt upper assembly back in the day NIB. About the same time bought a SAR1 NIB from local GS for slightly less.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It is funny. Colt stopped offering a 7.62x39 AR15 over 25 years ago. Ever since, people have been wanting Colt to offer them again. Now that the price of 7.62x39 has gone up, they have.
    I think we will see a lot of what Colt "should have been making" offered now that CZ is in the driver seat. Might take awhile but I think it's coming across both the rifle, pistol, and revolver lineups.

Feedback Score
    Here's a picture of the SOCOM barrel profile.

Interestingly, the bolt face has a gutter around its edge which I'm guessing is for debris. It's probably on other rifles, but the only time that I've seen it before is on a Zastava M85/M90 5.56x45 bolt. In the picture below, a Windham bolt carrier group is on the left and the Colt is on the right.

Feedback Score
    I didn't have much time today, but I was able to put a few rounds through my new Colt 7.62x39 AR15. All of the ammunition I shot had copper jacketed bullets, not bimetal bullets.

I started off with 30rds of Tula 122gr FMJ through a D&H magazine. Everything fed, fired and ejected without issue. Ejection was about 15' to 4:00. The BCG locked back after the last round. I then fired 20rds of Geco 124gr FMJ brass cased through an ASC 20rd magazine. The results were the same except that the spent cases only went about six feet. The spent cases didn't end up with any dings or odd marks, so they'll be good to reload. Next, I fired 25rds of the same Geco ammunition through an RZE Unimag. Again, everything fed, fired and ejected without issue. Finally, I decided to push my luck and shoot some Wolf 123gr FMJ that was made in a Ukrainian factory. This particular ammunition was once offered by SGAmmo for people who needed copper jacketed instead of bimetal bullets for indoor ranges or simply because they don't want to shoot bimetal bullets through the rifles. Unfortunately, people including myself soon found out that the primers were really hard. I've never had an AK fail to fire one of these cartridges, but my other non-AK 7.62x39 rifles such as AR15's, Robinson XCR, CZ Bren 2Ms and Sig 553R would fail to fire this ammunition about 10% of the time. I probably have about ten different types of 7.62x39 ammunition, so I just avoid this Ukranian stuff in my non-AK's. At any rate, I put 20rds of this ammunition through an ASC 20rd magazine. As I suspected might happen, there were two failures to fire. Otherwise, the ammunition fed and fired just fine. Again, this no big deal as literally none of the other 7.62x39 ammunition that I have exhibits the failure to fire problem. I just thought that it was a worthwhile experiment because I know there is surplus 7.62x39 available that is known to have hard primers. My recommendation would be to avoid such ammunition in any non-AK 7.62x39 rifle. BTW, you don't need to worry about getting ahold of the hard primer Ukranian 7.62x39 ammunition. Unfortunately, the Russians destroyed the factory years ago. It would have been a great source of ammunition that wasn't subject to the Russian sanctions.

So, what do I think of the rifle? I'm very pleased with it as it met my expectations completely. If you like 7.62x39 and you like AR15's, then I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.
    Last edited by Bret; 03-26-23 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Interestingly, the bolt face has a gutter around its edge which I'm guessing is for debris. It's probably on other rifles, but the only time that I've seen it before is on a Zastava M85/M90 5.56x45 bolt. In the picture below, a Windham bolt carrier group is on the left and the Colt is on the right.

That is interesting. I wonder why it is used here and not other Colt bolts. x39 presumed to be dirty? Not enough space on the smaller 5.56 case head?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    I have a case of that Ukranian stuff. Haven't shot any of it yet.

I have some Wolf "mil-spec" greenish colored case, sealed bullet, and primer. It looks like the primers are set in too deep. I had a couple not go bang out of the same mag. This was in my PSA 16" mid gas.

Feedback Score
    My son and I put 120rds of Geco 124gr FMJ and 40rds of Tula 122gr FMJ copper jacket through it today without issue. It does kick noticeably more than 5.56x45 rifles, but it's not over gassed. The spent cases all ended up in a nice pile just a few feet to 3:00.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    You can use a heavier buffer to mitigate that recoil.

I have ran as high as 6oz in my PSA's and it really helped.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast