Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee bill would allow officers to carry guns while under the influence

Feedback Score

Tennessee bill would allow officers to carry guns while under the influence

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/te...fba4380b7.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A bill working its way through the Tennessee legislature would allow police officers in Tennessee to carry weapons while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.

The bill is sponsored by Republican senator Joey Hensley of Hohenwald, Tennessee.

As introduced, the bill would also allow for guns to be brought into parks and college campuses.

But, the bill would prohibit anyone, including people permitted to carry firearms under federal law, from carrying weapons on elementary, middle and high school campuses, expect by what the bill simply identified as "certain persons".
    Maybe this is just the extreme example of if liberals think it's a bad idea, Republicans are for it???

Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    That's a pretty broad statement: under the influence. What level of intoxication is it referring to? I did not see a BAC listed in the article.

Feedback Score
    In Tennessee you don't have to be intoxicated to get charged, consuming any alcohol while armed is prohibited, even taking prescription medication while armed can get you arrested...
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Tennessee bill would allow officers to carry guns while under the influence

Everyone should be able to carry while drunk.

You are responsible for your actions whilst drunk. I’m no more a danger to society sober or drunk.

I generally hate people while sober and haven’t committed murder or assault yet in my life.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 02-22-23 at 15:24.

Feedback Score
    The bill summary includes a description that it allows law enforcement officers to “carry a firearm when under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.” Hensley (bill sponsor), however, said an amendment to the bill makes it clear that is not allowed.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/tenn...b95fd7d20.html

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    In Tennessee you don't have to be intoxicated to get charged, consuming any alcohol while armed is prohibited, even taking prescription medication while armed can get you arrested...
    Then your state sucks as much as mine. Every citizen should be able to responsibly have a glass of wine or beer with dinner and still be able to effectively defend themselves and others, cop or not.

I get your shock if you are mad that it is an LE exemption, but certainly not if you think people can't have a drink and responsibly carry.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You are responsible for your actions whilst drunk. I’m no more a danger to society sober or drunk.
    Yeah. I've never thought back and said.... "good thing I didn't have a gun when I was drinking because I would have shot someone or something!"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Hensley is a typical dumb Tennessee politician. Guy got in trouble for pushing pills and had an affair with his cousin.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/...ef314a6af.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For a long time in TN peons carrying anywhere that sold alcohol was illegal. Can't recall if it was assumed based on wording of law(s) or an AG opinion, but a TN carry group used to advise that included any business selling cough syrup that contained alcohol.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You don’t lose any other rights if you drink alcohol, why should you lose your 2A rights. There is not historical tradition in 1791 for banning firearms in bars.
    Last edited by sjc3081; 02-22-23 at 21:41.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast