Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any experience with Crye G4 clothing?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Anyone have any experience with Crye G4 clothing?

There isn't much that I've found in the way of reviews. Those that do exist say it's extraordinarily comfortable and lightweight, but is overly prone to pilling.

Anyone here have first-hand experience with the G4 clothing by Crye Precision?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I have one G4 field jacket plus G3s, Patagonia, and comparable Arcteryx LEAF clothing. I was thinking about making a thread with my quick thoughts on all of it but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Is there something specific you want to know?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I got issued the latest Cryes last summer, whichever gen that was. They do what they’re supposed to. They’re nice work clothes. Only complaint is I freeball, and they seem to chafe my upper thigh a bit on long movements, but maybe they’re just not well broken in, since I still have older ones and fields in rotation.

Ask away, and I’ll answer when I get home to look at them. I might actually be getting another new set tomorrow.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I personally haven't found the Crye G4s to be noticeably more comfortable than the G3 and Beyond top and AC and Arc'teryx LEAF bottom that I have; my LEAF Hot Weathers are more comfortable, though not hugely so. No real pilling issue I've found yet. I've only used the G4s in colder and temperate conditions so far, so their allegedly superior hot weather performance isn't something I've really tested yet, though I could see that being the case. I will say that while the Crye size chart recommended that I get the 28S for pants, I found that it would put the knee pads too high when kneeling, and I swapped them out for 28R (which is also the size of my ACs, though I got those for free from a friend, so didn't have a choice in the sizing).

I'll also note that while I was considering the G4 Hot Weathers for awhile, the fact that they're not no-melt/no-drip turned me off them (I already have the LEAF Hot Weathers, so no huge loss).

If I had to buy another set, I'd probably opt for the G4s over the G3s, mostly due to their alleged superior hot weather performance and slightly better cut for my build.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've mostly stuck with the G3 line, but I did pick up a G4 combat shirt, and liked it. Only used it for a few range days and a couple of rucks last year, but it was comfortable and seemed acceptably durable for a combat shirt.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I have one G4 field jacket plus G3s, Patagonia, and comparable Arcteryx LEAF clothing. I was thinking about making a thread with my quick thoughts on all of it but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Is there something specific you want to know?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I got issued the latest Cryes last summer, whichever gen that was. They do what they’re supposed to. They’re nice work clothes. Only complaint is I freeball, and they seem to chafe my upper thigh a bit on long movements, but maybe they’re just not well broken in, since I still have older ones and fields in rotation.

Ask away, and I’ll answer when I get home to look at them. I might actually be getting another new set tomorrow.
    Mainly wondering if it was pilling up on you, and how it worked in hot weather. My understanding was/is that the new stretch material - at least with early versions - didn't bind together so well, the result being a noticeable pilling problem after hard use. OTOH the same source said G4 was lighter/cooler/more comfortable in hot weather, which is what initially got me to thinking about trying it. Summers here are hot and very humid, June through August, and I sometimes overheat when wearing G3 pants in summer. Lastly, my understanding was G3 holds up better moving through woods, brush, thorns because it's thicker than G4.

Dunno how accurate any of the above is, just what I've read and heard, so far.
    Last edited by Buncheong; 02-23-23 at 08:23.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've only worn the G4 shirt twice because it is newer but its absolutely lighter than my G3s. Just like my Patagonias, the G3s are solidly built so they're not exactly light and breathable. After reading some other opinions here, I had to double check that my top was not the hot weather variant because it is much closer in feel to my Arcteryx assault LT garments which are fantastic, but stupid expensive and purpose built to be very light.

I can't comment on durability but my Arcteryx stuff has held up better than I've expected over several years, though I'm not often breaking brush in them. Once Crye has them in stock, I'll absolutely be buying a pair of hot weather pants because my new area is loaded with ticks and I want the bug netting on them.

I will say though that the newish Army Improved Hot Weather Combat Uniform (IHWCU) is actually very light and comfortable and hard to beat.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

I will say though that the newish Army Improved Hot Weather Combat Uniform (IHWCU) is actually very light and comfortable and hard to beat.
    Bypass those briars, though…..

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Bypass those briars, though…..
    Yeah…bug netting on the legs won’t do much when you tear open the entire calf from some thorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Anyone have any experience with Crye G4 clothing?

RIP to freeballin. Only takes a little torsion and next thing you know, the 68W1 is “manually resetting” you on a public trail every mile or so while the BN PA is running interference on some old women that are trying too hard to help and you’re fight back tears, nausea, and struggling through an awkward shuffle to try and manage the pain while coming off of the mountain.

**** that shit. Smartwool briefs might be the most important thing I pack now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 02-23-23 at 22:52.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast