Thread: Aimpoint T2 Red Ring around the edge of tube

Feedback Score

Aimpoint T2 Red Ring around the edge of tube

So I recently bought my first Aimpoint T2 and threw it on a Unity Fast riser. I have not even shot the gun with this optic on it yet, but I notice that once I get to a certain brightness setting, I start to notice a red ring that is jagged and irregular that forms around the edge of the glass and on the inside walls of the optic body itself. This problem is made worse when I 1. Turn the brightness up even more. 2. Am in a darker environment. And 3. When I flip up the Aimpoint 3x magnifier and look through the optic with it. When I look through the optic with the Aimpoint 3x magnifier, the ring seems to sit more in the glass rather than on the edges of it. Again I only notice it once I’m at a certain brightness, but with the weapon light that I use on this AR, I sometimes need to turn the brightness up so that my white light does not wash out my dot when using it indoors especially off of white walls. Is this normal? I tried to include two pictures. The first picture is with the 3x magnifier flipped behind the optic and the second picture is just the T2 without the magnifier behind it. Any help or input is appreciated. I hope this is normal and that nothing is wrong with the optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Is the dot cranked up in a modest light scenario? I get that backwash if the dot is overpowering the ambient lighting.

If you walk out into bright sunlight, I'm guessing that splash goes away.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Is the dot cranked up in a modest light scenario? I get that backwash if the dot is overpowering the ambient lighting.

If you walk out into bright sunlight, I'm guessing that splash goes away.
    ^^^This, the dot brightness setting is cranked up higher than needed. Turn it down or go outside in the daylight it will disappear. If it doesn't then I'd suspect something is wrong.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ill be the third to point out you are probably cranking up the brightness up far too high for the given conditions. Turn it up as much as needed indoors, and that red rim you are seeing goes away.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Ill be the third to point out you are probably cranking up the brightness up far too high for the given conditions. Turn it up as much as needed indoors, and that red rim you are seeing goes away.
    I went outside today around noon and looked through the optic while it was very sunny and I was able to turn the brightness up to setting 10 out of 12 before I started to faintly notice the red rim on the edge. Is that considered about normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think you're fine. I run my aimpoint at 6 inside and maybe 8 outside. If it's super bright, I might go to 9.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Normal. I like my dots bright but if that ring is there, its too bright for the ambient lighting conditions.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. The illumination adjustment is there for a reason.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson