Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.5” 1-7 twist AR bullet recommendation.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

11.5” 1-7 twist AR bullet recommendation.

Been using 62gr gold dot factory ammo. Recently started shooting out to 300 yards and I want to reach out to 500. I’ve run out of the gold dot and I quickly learned how inaccurate the green tips I have an abundance of are.

Honestly, this is my HD gun and I want to pick an hd round that I can shoot and learn on.

Anyway, I’ve been doing some internet searching and it seems for hd and for accuracy the 69gr and up seems to perform better out of sbr’s.

So for my next ammo purchase should I be bumping up from the 62gr to 69gr and up.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    77 gr Sierra Match King have a good reputation for terminal performance and accuracy.
    They’re not Barrier/Blind “bonded bullets” so not designed to defeat auto glass, drywall, etc. and still provide excellent wound abilities.
    They have performed very well in soft tissue and in the accuracy department.
    There are a number of U-tube vids showing performance in gel.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    77 gr Sierra Match King have a good reputation for terminal performance and accuracy.
    They’re not Barrier/Blind “bonded bullets” so not designed to defeat auto glass, drywall, etc. and still provide excellent wound abilities.
    They have performed very well in soft tissue and in the accuracy department.
    There are a number of U-tube vids showing performance in gel.
    Seems bonded is the most confusing part for me. When looking all this up bonded seemed to be less accurate, because of the coating used around the bullet to either seal it or bond the metal I don’t recall exactly. But at 100 yards it was more than an inch moa.

Further more what your saying is 77 grain won’t be bonded and because of that it won’t do a good job at going threw auto glass?

What about bullet drop? I’ma newbie, will the heavier rounds have more drop. I know my holds out to 400 yards with the 62gr.

Sorry I am just trying to avoid buying lots of ammo for testing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    Seems bonded is the most confusing part for me. When looking all this up bonded seemed to be less accurate, because of the coating used around the bullet to either seal it or bond the metal I don’t recall exactly. But at 100 yards it was more than an inch moa.

Further more what your saying is 77 grain won’t be bonded and because of that it won’t do a good job at going threw auto glass?

What about bullet drop? I’ma newbie, will the heavier rounds have more drop. I know my holds out to 400 yards with the 62gr.

Sorry I am just trying to avoid buying lots of ammo for testing.
    Federal fusion/gold dot 62 is a good balance of performance and accuracy.

I run 69gr rmr handloads in my 11.5 and got to 500-550yds reliably. Past that it gets sketchy and inconsistent

In my experience, they high BC heavies dont make as much sense with short barrels since you dont get the velocity to take advantage of it.

69 gr you get a good balance. Use bonded 62s for sd/hd, and 69gr match for longer engagements.

Stick with cheap 55gr for practice where high precision isnt necessary.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-27-23 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Even 55gr FMJ will get to 500 yards. 69 or 77 are ideal. 77s are a little easier to make sing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I took 56gr MEN out to 550 reliably with my 12.5 last month. Heavier stuff will work better, but it was doable. It was basically DOA at 600, bullet wasn’t flying at all predictably at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    As stated, 69/77grain bullets will do the trick. I don’t worry about having the perfect HD bullet. I feel like you shoot a guy with an AR and it’s going to leave a mark. So I want the most accurate bullet and the one I most often shoot. Your SMK’S will do the trick.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stuff to think about.

Weight is just weight. It may make things harder or easier depending on other variables, but it's just one variable. Same for bullet construction. The 62 GDSP is bonded, and is often an MOA+/- load in precision barrels. 300-600yds is farther than most people shoot, but for distance isn't far. About any decent bullet and barrel combination will get you onto B/C or bigger steel at those distances.

Don't expect bullets of the same weight to fly the same. For the 62s you mention, the GDSP and green tip you mention are hundreds of fps apart and dope is different.

If the green tip you're talking about is the recent production Winchester 855 from LC that's in the big-box stores, that's actually better you think and 500yds isn't a problem.

You didn't mention what optic you're using. As you stretch out, seeing is important. If you're trying to reckon rounds onto steel plates with a 2-4MOA aimpoint, there's more stuff to talk about. Also curious what barrel you're using beyond length.

Finding a load that's a good combo of inside close and outside -> 500 shouldn't be too hard.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    If the green tip you're talking about is the recent production Winchester 855 from LC that's in the big-box stores, that's actually better you think and 500yds isn't a problem.
    That stuff shot REALLY well for me. If it didn't have the big-box retail price, I'd buy a bunch of it for stash.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That stuff shot REALLY well for me. If it didn't have the big-box retail price, I'd buy a bunch of it for stash.
    Sorry ahead of time for the thread drift...

How good ? I realize it isn't match ammo, but I usually got 5-6MOA, while other brands were easily 2.5-3MOA.

Do you remember which specific one ?

I have always had dismal results from Winchester bulk 5.56 62gr and 55gr ... has that changed ?

I have always wanted Winc. bulk'ish to shoot decent, but it just never has for me over the decades.
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 06-10-23 at 11:46.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast