Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.5” 1-7 twist AR bullet recommendation.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    Shooting an idpa target at 300 yards with 62gr gold dot, my hold was 2 mills on target, A zone hits. Again I’ma newb so if this sounds wrong it probably is but this is what I got.
    Gold dots are not made for flight, so that 2 mils sounds about right from a shorty. The flattest shooting load known to man (in 5.56) is the 69gr TMK in 5.56 from Black Hills if that interests you.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    First thanks all of you for the wealth of info.

Second the barrel is a noveske 12.5” cut down by adco to an 11.7”. And the optic is a Nightforce nx8 1-8, older reticle. Using hold over’s avoids that big dot being in the way at 300 yards.

Shooting an idpa target at 300 yards with 62gr gold dot, my hold was 2 mills on target, A zone hits. Again I’ma newb so if this sounds wrong it probably is but this is what I got.

I don’t shoot rifle much but I do shoot pistols well. I shoot IDPA and USPSA, so my trigger finger knowledge is pretty good.
    Consistent A-zones at 300 with factory Gold Dots is not anything to be embarrassed of.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First thanks all of you for the wealth of info.
    Second the barrel is a noveske 12.5” cut down by adco to an 11.7”. And the optic is a Nightforce nx8 1-8, older reticle. Using hold over’s avoids that big dot being in the way at 300 yards.
    I don’t shoot rifle much but I do shoot pistols well. I shoot IDPA and USPSA, so my trigger finger knowledge is pretty good.
    Ok, barrel and optic are GTG. Your dope sounds about right for the speed of that bullet from a shorty, velocity is probably ~2450. Your shooting is GTG.

Now it's just a matter of picking a load for you.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The flattest shooting load known to man (in 5.56) is the 69gr TMK in 5.56 from Black Hills if that interests you.
    Yeah, that 5.56 69 SMK and TMK has some magic in it.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Thats a good setup. My 11.5 is a cl barrel with a 1-4.
    I also just checked, I was shooting fed fusion, I'll have to try the 69 handloads at 600. I believe they are between 223 and 556 pressures as Im getting 2800 fps from a 16"

Ill chrono and see how far I can push them from the 11.5"

Feedback Score
    Update: I only had access to 300 yesterday.
    1.2 mil at 300yds. 69gr@2600 from my 11.5" w/socom556mini.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have found the 75 Gold Dot to be an excellent bullet. The BC isn't as good as a 77 TMK/SMK/NCC, although Speer shows it as .400, but they shoot sub MOA from my 16" AR and Tikka.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That stuff shot REALLY well for me. If it didn't have the big-box retail price, I'd buy a bunch of it for stash.
    Sorry ahead of time for the thread drift...

How good ? I realize it isn't match ammo, but I usually got 5-6MOA, while other brands were easily 2.5-3MOA.

Do you remember which specific one ?

I have always had dismal results from Winchester bulk 5.56 62gr and 55gr ... has that changed ?

I have always wanted Winc. bulk'ish to shoot decent, but it just never has for me over the decades.
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 06-10-23 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    If the green tip you're talking about is the recent production Winchester 855 from LC that's in the big-box stores, that's actually better you think and 500yds isn't a problem.
    WM855K?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    Sorry ahead of time for the thread drift... How good ? I realize it isn't match ammo, but I usually got 5-6MOA, while other brands were easily 2.5-3MOA. Do you remember which specific one ? I have always had dismal results from Winchester bulk 5.56 62gr and 55gr ... has that changed ? I have always wanted Winc. bulk'ish to shoot decent, but it just never has for me over the decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That one, but no difference between the 20/150/200 packs. Recent data: 10rd/100yds, GTG Geissele barrel, 9rds ~2" with the tenth an obvious called flier. Runs about 3050fps with SDs in the teens. This is recent production out of LC. I've shot this in GI and precision barrels, it flies atypically well.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12