Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Night Vision

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

New to Night Vision

I am at the point where I can drop $6000 on NV and want to purchase a system as soon as possible. My familiarity with NV is confined to what I learned in line infantry battalions, so probably close to 100 night patrols in Iraq and Afghanistan and many night qualifications. So I know how to employ night vision but know little about what has changed since I retired nine years ago.

I've been trying to educate myself about the finer technical aspects of NV and researching the best PVS-14's on the market but have found myself lost in the weeds. At this point I just want to purchase the best PVS-14 that 6k can afford and then continue to learn from there.

This is the PVS-14 I have come up with and would like your input: https://tnvc.com/shop/tnv-pvs-14-l3h...hite-phosphor/

Many Thanks.

MODERATOR: please move this post to the appropriate forum if this is the wrong one.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Check out this thread and have fun with that rabbit hole...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-to-NV-threads
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You are really not new to NV, sounds like you have quite a bit of real world experience. With that TNVC super gain you are paying $1 to 1.5 K more for a very, very, very small percentage gain in performance that is unlikely to ever even be noticeable and looks like there is a wait time. I also think the performance gain from high grade film less over thin filmed is over hyped when it comes to real world applications. With your budget I would look for either a Elbit or Harris mil spec 2200 + FOM for around 4K or less and spend the rest on helmets, illuminatiors etc. Right now JRH has some high grade Elbit YH units on sale for $3,500 which is a killer deal.

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/PVS14...3Highgrade.htm
    l
    FWIW I am very happy with the Elbit YH tubes I have.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-01-23 at 06:55.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    You are really not new to NV, sounds like you have quite a bit of real world experience. With that TNVC super gain you are paying $1 to 1.5 K more for a very, very, very small percentage gain in performance that is unlikely to ever even be noticeable and looks like there is a wait time. I also think the performance gain from high grade film less over thin filmed is over hyped when it comes to real world applications. With your budget I would look for either a Elbit or Harris mil spec 2200 + FOM for around 4K or less and spend the rest on helmets, illuminatiors etc. Right now JRH has some high grade Elbit YH units on sale for $3,500 which is a killer deal.

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/PVS14...3Highgrade.htm
    l
    FWIW I am very happy with the Elbit YH tubes I have.
    Jrh is good to go. I got the filmless L3 from him for a great price not long ago.

From what Im seeing, the supergain doesnt seem worth it, but it looks like limited experience out there so far.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will also say that JRH is good to go. I purchased a 14 and pano bridge from him last year. Communication was great and very fast service and shipping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joe138 View Post
    I will also say that JRH is good to go. I purchased a 14 and pano bridge from him last year. Communication was great and very fast service and shipping.
    I’ll add to the comments about JRH… he absolutely puts on a clinic, regarding customer service and professionalism… top notch.

Side note… I purchased PVS-14 with the Photonis ECHO 4g tube… Don’t sleep on this optic… I’ve trained/operated with .mil issue NVGs later .gov issued L3 equipped devices…. These Photonis tubes are pretty amazing (comparing the costs… I think most will be better served with them, and spending the other funds on a laser/mount/helmet and ammo).
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    With the JRH Elbit YH high grade PVS-14's marked down from $4,600 to 3,500 right now no way would I go with Photonis. The Elbit and Harris tubes are going to out perform the Photonis in really dark areas.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I went with TNVC RNVG's in L3 filmless, and spec'ed my tubes pretty solid. I've been very happy with it, and it only cost a few $k over what you're planning to spend. I'd say get some good Elbits if you want to stay in budget, or save up more and snag L3 filmless.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I will echo checking out JRH. Robert was very helpful with my pre purchase questions and offers great customer service.
    He is also active on this board and will often pop in and offer help.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    I will echo checking out JRH. Robert was very helpful with my pre purchase questions and offers great customer service.
    He is also active on this board and will often pop in and offer help.
    JRH alsobhas the hookup on Photonis tubes. If I lived in the city, I might look hard at photonis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast