Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Night Vision

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That L3 unit you linked is legit top of the line. When I worked on this sort of stuff professionally, we used one of those in our optics lab as a reference device for testing prototypes against.

That being said, you can definitely spend a couple thousand less and get something that is like 99% as good.

Call JRH. I bought a Photonis from him a couple years back. It's VERY good and was quite a bit cheaper than the L3

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I’m looking to upgrade to duals myself from my PVS14 and I can’t decide on L3 or Elbit and pvs1531 or DTNVS….it’s not an easy decision because it’s not easy to try before you buy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    I’m looking to upgrade to duals myself from my PVS14 and I can’t decide on L3 or Elbit and pvs1531 or DTNVS….it’s not an easy decision because it’s not easy to try before you buy.
    Just a thought, why not buy another PVS14 and use a panobridge or the new NVB-58 with more field of view then the typical dual tube setup?

https://noisefighters.com/products/p...spec%20J%2DArm.
    https://code4defense.com/product/nvb...vision-bridge/
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Just a thought, why not buy another PVS14 and use a panobridge or the new NVB-58 with more field of view then the typical dual tube setup?

Comes down to matching tubes plus my pvs 14 is green phosphor.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post

Plus weight, two 14's and a bridge are going to weigh 26 + oz a good bino is going to be around 18 or less, those extra oz hanging off the front of your head are going to be very noticeable. I do see bridging a 14 and a lightweight thermal as being useful. For bino's I like the PVS-31D by Elbit, it has the feature set I was looking for, articulated, pods shut off when you swing them up and turn back on when you swing them down and adjustable diopter, the PVS-31A has neither of these. Plus the D's are Marine issue, if they can handle that....

The D's are pricey but mine came with a Wilcox G24 which is a $400+ mount.

AN/PVS-31D (F5032) SQUAD NIGHT VISION BINOCULAR

https://www.modarmory.com/product/an...ion-binocular/

Intensifier tubes are Gen III White Phosphor Auto Gated Tubes
    2400 FOM Minimum
    Industry-leading, close-focus technology
    Vertical viewing ability
    Adjustable diopter lenses
    Integrated IR illuminator
    Adjustable Gain Control
    Submersible up to 20 meters
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-06-23 at 16:12.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Plus weight, two 14's and a bridge are going to weigh 26 + oz a good bino is going to be around 18 or less, those extra oz hanging off the front of your head are going to be very noticeable. I do see bridging a 14 and a lightweight thermal as being useful. For bino's I like the PVS-31D by Elbit, it has the feature set I was looking for, articulated, pods shut off when you swing them up and turn back on when you swing them down and adjustable diopter, the PVS-31A has neither of these. Plus the D's are Marine issue, if they can handle that....
    Interesting, I didn't know that the Marines had PVS-31s, I can only imagine the street price in the In and Out parking lot off of mainside Camp Pendleton. I know it weighs much more for the bridge but I still like the field of view it offers, granted I don't have my hands on this yet to complain about the weight, but the 40 degrees of my PVS14 works, just not ideal for when you are trying to find those sharp cutback trail heads in the woods and trying to avoid those branches which seem to come out of no where.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If I was going to bridge anything together with a PVS-14 it would an a thermal unit.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ha, night vision walking off is like M-4's walking off, we had a guy drop a M-16 out of a helo while we were returning to base during training, turned around and stayed in the field until we found it in the woods.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Ha, night vision walking off is like M-4's walking off, we had a guy drop a M-16 out of a helo while we were returning to base during training, turned around and stayed in the field until we found it in the woods.
    Good thing it wasn't Kryloned, might still be out there looking for it.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    We had some night vision and sapi plates go missing on the boat in the middle of a MEU, they had us doing PT in the hanger deck in that awful dragonskin plate carrier, while they did a sweep of our birthing, after a week it was swept under the rug until a Navy E6 was later charged with stealing that and a ton of other gear from that deployment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12