Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone ever have a bullet just pop out?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If you know anyone that reloads, they’d prolly make you 15 dummies for a six pack and/or some sorted brass.
    I reload.

I appreciate the concerns. Im not suggesting others do it. I was explaining that multiple hard reloads and loosen bullets in aluminum cased ammo.

"It's a "basic" rule for a reason... It's not optional"

Sure it is. I just... dont adhere to that for my personal applications, in my own house, by myself.

As stated i put snap caps in as the top 3 rounds. And the one in the chamber never leaves the chamber. Id have to cycle the gun 4 times and pull the trigger to fire it. Thats not going to happen on accident because I dont cycle the gun in dry fire.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-09-23 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just to add a little humor to this post. When I read the Title "Have you ever had a bullet just pop out", my first thought was yes! I have this version of the same dream where someone is breaking into the house and I have my handgun. As they are coming through the door and I pull the trigger the gun fires and the bullet just plops out of the barrel and lands at my feet! Now in the dream this happens over and over again. The gun makes a popping sound like the cork guns we had as a kid. LOL

Now in real life I haven't had a bullet pop out but I've seen them pushed in before.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 03-10-23 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Just to add a little humor to this post. When I read the Title "Have you ever had a bullet just pop out", my first thought was yes! I have this version of the same dream where someone is breaking into the house and I have my handgun. As they are coming through the door and I pull the trigger the gun fires and the bullet just plops out of the barrel and lands at my feet! Now in the dream this happens over and over again. The gun makes a popping sound like the cork guns we had as a kid. LOL

Now in real life I haven't had a bullet pop out but I've seen them pushed in before.
    LoL the shooting version of not being able to run fast in a dream.

Feedback Score
    Dry fire with live rounds in the magazine is stupid.

Make all the excuses you want, it’s still stupid, and only stupid people would do that.

Moving on the round that had the bullet pop out is symptomatic of an improperly sized case with an insufficient taper crimp. Shit happens even with factory ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Dry fire with live rounds in the magazine is stupid.

Make all the excuses you want, it’s still stupid, and only stupid people would do that.

Moving on the round that had the bullet pop out is symptomatic of an improperly sized case with an insufficient taper crimp. Shit happens even with factory ammo.
    I didnt make excuses for shit.
    As stated, 2 snaps are the top 2 rounds, and one in the chamber. I also- as a rule- do not cycle the slide when dry-firing-ever. It would take 7 deliberate mistakes in a row over the course of 20 seconds or so to ND.

Its not stupid, Ive done thourough risk assessment and this is my choice since risk is nearly zero... for ME.

Also to reiterate, I dont suggest other people do it. I know me, my brain, and how this stuff works and developed my procedures over a 10 year period - not something to take lightly.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I didnt make excuses for shit.
    As stated, 2 snaps are the top 2 rounds, and one in the chamber. I also- as a rule- do not cycle the slide when dry-firing-ever. It would take 7 deliberate mistakes in a row over the course of 20 seconds or so to ND.

Its not stupid, Ive done thourough risk assessment and this is my choice since risk is nearly zero... for ME.

Also to reiterate, I dont suggest other people do it. I know me, my brain, and how this stuff works and developed my procedures over a 10 year period - not something to take lightly.
    I mean you can make that a rule all you want, doesnt mean that it isnt going to happen. Ive definitely over zealously racked the slide far back enough to eject the snap cap and chamber during dry fire when I intended to just reset the striker plenty of times.

You can do you own risk assessment, have your own procedures but from MY OWN risk assessment I wouldnt want to be your neighbor.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 03-14-23 at 19:03.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I mean you can make that a rule all you want, doesnt mean that it isnt going to happen. Ive definitely over zealously racked the slide far back enough to eject the snap cap and chamber during dry fire when I intended to just reset the striker plenty of times.

You can do you own risk assessment, have your own procedures but from MY OWN risk assessment I wouldnt want to be your neighbor.
    It doesnt matter if it happens - thats the point! Saftey is barriers between the current situation and an incident.
    If your only barrier is "no ammo in the mag/room", and you turn your brain off, you are 1 accident away from an ND.

Why would you rack it with the mag in?
    Did you not notice that you cycled it?
    Even if I did that:
    To ND I’d have to rack it out of sequence (with mag in) and not feel the snap cap in my hand or jam the gun (2 failure/deviations already), then I’d still have to:
    1. Mis-see 2 snap caps in the mag
    2. Fail to check chamber
    3. Rack again out of sequence
    4. Again fail to feel see or hear a snap cap fall into my hand and on the ground and not jam the gun
    5. Miss see 2 snap caps again in mag
    6. Fail to check chamber
    7. Rack again out of sequence without seeing it
    8. Miss see 2 snap caps for a 3rd time
    9. Fail to notice live round in the chamber

If that happens- I’m not responsible enough and way to absent-minded to handle a gun and I’d have to sell everything.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-15-23 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    Uhhhh dude if you reload and want the magazines to have accurate weight, why not just load a couple magazines worth of dummy rounds with no powder and no primers?

You get what you are looking for and eliminate the possibility of an issue if you have a human moment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Handy for dry firing:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...om-strikercaps

Local shop only had the regular A zooms so I chucked a few in a drill and turned the rims down plus cut a groove for a bead of something like Shoe Goo or silicone caulk to keep it in the chamber.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123