Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flash hider for 14.5 barrel

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    I would put on whatever not obnoxious, flash hider or suppressor mount that makes sense for your purposes. In the mean time install a properly ported gas tube from Black River Tactical.

If you want a carbine to shoot soft then get it properly gassed and forget about a muzzle brake. Black River makes this easy.
    The amount of foolishness that came out of years of over-gassed barrels is astonishing. I'd love to put a foot in the ass of every mongo who spec'd barrel ports too large. DD's .081-.083 10.5" barrels??? I'd love to punch that retard into a coma!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    On my 16" GPR I've got a VG6 Gamma muzzle brake. It was a little annoying for person on either side of me due to blast, though I was fine behind it.

I added a VG6 Cage device, which mitigated most of the blast for persons on either side, but left the muzzle jump control intact.

The CAGE does work nicely. I used to have one on a midlength of mine, but eventually swapped it out and I think its on something else now.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The amount of foolishness that came out of years of over-gassed barrels is astonishing. I'd love to put a foot in the ass of every mongo who spec'd barrel ports too large. DD's .081-.083 10.5" barrels??? I'd love to punch that retard into a coma!
    I think all of that came around the time that people were crying their KAC guns weren't working well when fired dry and dirty with Tula. Everyone took notice in the MFG world and wanted no part of the pile on. Once they figured out most people didn't know or understand the difference, it was open season on barrel ports.

Circle around years later, and DD gets lambasted for using one size on milspec MK18 barrels, and one size for civilian barrels.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I think all of that came around the time that people were crying their KAC guns weren't working well when fired dry and dirty with Tula. Everyone took notice in the MFG world and wanted no part of the pile on. Once they figured out most people didn't know or understand the difference, it was open season on barrel ports.

Circle around years later, and DD gets lambasted for using one size on milspec MK18 barrels, and one size for civilian barrels.
    Yeah. The crap ammo being used by dirt blasting imbeciles was a factor. But the port on DDs barrels was the epitome of the dumb assery the lead to people saying the AR "shits where it eats", and "let's make a piston version" to solve problems brought on by morons who spec'd ports ridiculously badly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I once had a 16" barrel with carbine gas that was so harsh I had it cut down to 11.5" with no change to the gas port. At first I was worried that it wouldn't have enough gas to work, but it still doesn't short stroke even with an H2 installed, regardless of ammo.

The first time I shot a properly gassed, flat shooting carbine it was a revelation. It almost makes brakes or comps obsolete.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    I once had a 16" barrel with carbine gas that was so harsh I had it cut down to 11.5" with no change to the gas port. At first I was worried that it wouldn't have enough gas to work, but it still doesn't short stroke even with an H2 installed, regardless of ammo.

The first time I shot a properly gassed, flat shooting carbine it was a revelation. It almost makes brakes or comps obsolete.
    I genuinely want to put foot in over-gassers asses! Remember the O-rings in extractors? So much stupidity due to these ass clowns.

Feedback Score
    To be fair, about half the time back then we needed O-rings just because the extractor springs sucked if they weren't heavy duty Colts. But yes we did put up with and have to learn how to fix or diagnose a lot of problems over the past twenty years just to get ARs to work because of over gassing issues.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234