Thread: Nightforce ATACR 1-8X24 vs ATACR 4-16X42 vs Elcan for 20" Robinson XCR-M 20'' BBL

Feedback Score
    2 (67%)

Nightforce ATACR 1-8X24 vs ATACR 4-16X42 vs Elcan for 20" Robinson XCR-M 20'' BBL

Hi,

Punt an order in for a rifle I've been saving up for for awhile. I've also been saving up for a Nice Optic to put on top.

A Robinson XCR with a 20" Lightweight profile Barrel, Precision Armament EFAB on the Muzzle (I plan on moving with the rifle, and not being on the bench too much outside of initial fine tuning, probably going to go with OD Green CERAKOTE Robinson offers when ordering an XCR (For those curious, they also offer FDE and Black) but for a little extra you or I I can get any color Cerakote offers. There are some shades of grey that blend in well leaning against a tree and grey is color I wear year round in the area. I chose 7.62x51 though I thought very long and hard about going and almost ordered it but from the hours of reading on 6.8 Creedmoor, I feel the pills are are so similar inside of 500 (Which for a Semi Automatic 'Battle Rifle' is the role intended for this rifle). If I was going for a Competition, or dedicated Bolt gun, or suppressed rifle. I would have gone with the Creedmoor. Basically this is going to fill the role of a DMR rifle.

My question is this:

I have my scope choices down to 4. Listed in no particular order:
    1. Elcan SpecterDR 1.5-6X. (I understand they changed battery type to a much more common and much better battery life than the original version. I've also heard they have engineered new, better ARMS mounts, also designed around a 20" rifle firming the 7.62x51 147gr NATO Standard. (I LOVE the Reticle on the SpecterDR. Like the ACOG but better The etched BDC/Ranging ability is very helpful to my quick ranging and engaging. I joined the Army in 2008, I've become very comfortable with the Bullet Drop/Width of shoulders ladder under the Chevron at X yards. It worked extremely well on my M4. It works extremely well on my USMC M16A4 Clone with the TA31RCO-A4. I fi ever buy one of the 14.5" Colt M4's, it will have the TA31RCO-M4.
    2. Nightforce ATACR 1-8X24 (I haven't heard anything negative about any model of ATACR Scope, regardless of what magnification. The 1-8 has an Outstanding reticle. Similar to the BDC/Ranging ladder on ACOG/Elcan I'm used to.
    3. Nightforce 4-16x42-If this one had the same reticle as the 1-8, it would be an easy decision. That's said, I'm able to learn, and the MOAR type reticles in the 4-16 seem like something I can wrap my head around.

So, what say you?

Anyone have another scope I'm overlooking? Any experience with the Nightforce 4-16? Has Elcan improved on their new mounting system?

I appreciate any input in advance, Thank you for your time.

Jake
    Garry Owen!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M-FOURTEEN View Post
    Hi,

Punt an order in for a rifle I've been saving up for for awhile. I've also been saving up for a Nice Optic to put on top.

A Robinson XCR with a 20" Lightweight profile Barrel, Precision Armament EFAB on the Muzzle (I plan on moving with the rifle, and not being on the bench too much outside of initial fine tuning, probably going to go with OD Green CERAKOTE Robinson offers when ordering an XCR (For those curious, they also offer FDE and Black) but for a little extra you or I I can get any color Cerakote offers. There are some shades of grey that blend in well leaning against a tree and grey is color I wear year round in the area. I chose 7.62x51 though I thought very long and hard about going and almost ordered it but from the hours of reading on 6.8 Creedmoor, I feel the pills are are so similar inside of 500 (Which for a Semi Automatic 'Battle Rifle' is the role intended for this rifle). If I was going for a Competition, or dedicated Bolt gun, or suppressed rifle. I would have gone with the Creedmoor. Basically this is going to fill the role of a DMR rifle.

My question is this:

I have my scope choices down to 4. Listed in no particular order:
    1. Elcan SpecterDR 1.5-6X. (I understand they changed battery type to a much more common and much better battery life than the original version. I've also heard they have engineered new, better ARMS mounts, also designed around a 20" rifle firming the 7.62x51 147gr NATO Standard. (I LOVE the Reticle on the SpecterDR. Like the ACOG but better The etched BDC/Ranging ability is very helpful to my quick ranging and engaging. I joined the Army in 2008, I've become very comfortable with the Bullet Drop/Width of shoulders ladder under the Chevron at X yards. It worked extremely well on my M4. It works extremely well on my USMC M16A4 Clone with the TA31RCO-A4. I fi ever buy one of the 14.5" Colt M4's, it will have the TA31RCO-M4.
    2. Nightforce ATACR 1-8X24 (I haven't heard anything negative about any model of ATACR Scope, regardless of what magnification. The 1-8 has an Outstanding reticle. Similar to the BDC/Ranging ladder on ACOG/Elcan I'm used to.
    3. Nightforce 4-16x42-If this one had the same reticle as the 1-8, it would be an easy decision. That's said, I'm able to learn, and the MOAR type reticles in the 4-16 seem like something I can wrap my head around.

So, what say you?

Anyone have another scope I'm overlooking? Any experience with the Nightforce 4-16? Has Elcan improved on their new mounting system?

I appreciate any input in advance, Thank you for your time.

Jake
    IMO, for a DMR-type rifle, I'd take an intermediate magnification optic in the 2-10, 3-15, or 4-16, or 3-18 range. The Nightforce F1 Mil-R reticle is...fine, but not my preference. Is there a particular reason you're looking at Nightforce relative to some of the other options at similar price points?

The Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 with SCR2 reticle stands out to me as a great DMR optic. Also the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 with Tremor 3 reticle.

My one hesitation here is that you specified a lightweight 20" barrel. That's not particularly suited to DMR work. It would probably be ok with taking a shot here or there, but I wouldn't want to run that for a DMR competition with higher rates of fire.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    2 (67%)
    Thanks for the reply. I will look into those optics. Most optics get buried by the cloud of dust created by the optics I listed (And for good reason).

I went with a Lightweight barrel as it's a rifle I don't plan on shooting off a bench except initial zero. I'm not a competition shooter, will never be in any matches. However if I were I'd go heavy. If it was a bolt gun, dedicated for scalpel type accuracy I would go with the Heavy as well.

As a DMR role not a rifle I'd see myself on sending a High Rate of fire through.

But owning various 20"+ Colt LW 20" SP1's, Colt 20" HBAR's, M1A's, SCAR 17's with the 20", and my experience in the Military, for a 'Fighting Rifle in a 30 Cal' LW Profile is best for what I for-see this gun being used for. Could be wrong, but knowing what most engagements take place in, thats why a DMR with a Semi Auto and matched with a 20"+ LW profile BBL exists and why a Sniper with a bolt gun exists.

Similar roles, but one is much more dependent on his darts landing inches or less apart vs 1ft-6in Apart. I don't' even hunt. I shoot paper, usually man sized targets and I think this setup will fill that role well. Just need a scope and optic that fits the same role.

I can still switch to the Heavy Profile but I'm still happy with the LW Profile.
    Garry Owen!