Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tisas 1911

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

New Tisas 1911

Not a big 1911 guy, but Bud's had this for $367 so I took the plunge. This is Tisas' "US Army, wood grips" iteration (of which they have several). Enclosed tag says " Forged frame and slide, Series 70 internals, hardened before machined". Not sure if that last bit is anything relevant, though. Barrel is CHF.

Finish is an attractive (to me, anyway) gray Cerakote which is supposed to be reminiscent of older finishes. I talked to one guy I know who is somewhat of a 1911 buff, and he said the Cerakote (instead of actual Parkerizing) was a deal breaker for him. I guess the purists like what they like. Grips are advertised as Turkish walnut.

Slide markings read "MODEL 1911A1 US ARMY". Probably not historically accurate but I'm fine with it.

All in all, if it shoots as well as it looks it should be a winner. When I picked it up from my FFL, he thought it was an $800 gun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I talked to one guy I know who is somewhat of a 1911 buff, and he said the Cerakote (instead of actual Parkerizing) was a deal breaker for him. I guess the purists like what they like.
    I'm not a big fan of cerakote, but on a 400 dollar blaster, who cares?

Can't wait to hear how it shoots!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Interestingly, mags are Checkmate. I would have thought they'd be a Turkish no-name brand. Also, from what I'm learning on other boards, Tisas applies their Cerakote over Parkerizing. So I guess that's a good thing (?).
    Last edited by Slater; 03-09-23 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Also, from what I'm learning on other boards, Tisas applies their Cerakote over Parkerizing. So I guess that's a good thing (?).
    I would guess that would be good. The park would be a stronger finish so if the cerekote chips off you don't have to worry about rust on the bare steel.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I was looking at the Tisas and only read good things about them. I also appreciate the use of high quality materials and the way the US Army model is configured.

Regretfully, I did not grab one of the parkerized pistols when they were blowing them out as blems. Unfortunately, the park shading varies between the slide and frame because of different steels/hardness (it's kind of the nature of the finish) so Tisas went to cerocoat. I am with your buddy, the cerocoat is a deal breaker for me, but it's purely a personal preference.

Andy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm happy with mines.

Don't have to shoot the CMP 1911 as much.

It works...and holds up well and is accurate.

For $319.99, I'm not gonna complain.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A bit of correction - love the look and pistol. Hate that moving to ceracoat was inevitable

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd love to find a 9mm version around. I already have a 1911 45 and don't shoot it much, but I'd like a reasonably reliable 9mm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got a Tisa several years ago (2014) from Bud's for 434.92 out the door. Mine is marked ZIG M 1911. It came with a lifetime Bud's warranty (20.00). Great gun. Built like a tank. Crazy thing came with a 23 lb. recoil spring. I changed it to a 12 or 14. Polished the bow and smoothed the tracks with a stone. Oh yeah, as I have done with a few others, I swapped out to Ergo Warrior rubber grips. I'm really happy with those. Short of replacing that goofy spring, it was actually gtg as is. I have several 1911s from an old generation Norinco to a Colt to my fancy DW Valor (stainless). Among others I have a CZ. The Tisas reminds me of it. If either malfunctions, they'd make a great club. As far as reliability, it's as good as any. Accuracy is probably as good as the others. I really like it.

Last edited by bamashooter; 03-10-23 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Got a Tisa several years ago (2014) from Bud's for 434.92 out the door. Mine is marked ZIG M 1911. It came with a lifetime Bud's warranty (20.00). Great gun. Built like a tank. Crazy thing came with a 23 lb. recoil spring. I changed it to a 12 or 14. Polished the bow and smoothed the tracks with a stone. Oh yeah, as I have done with a few others, I swapped out to Ergo Warrior rubber grips. I'm really happy with those. Short of replacing that goofy spring, it was actually gtg as is. I have several 1911s from an old generation Norinco to a Colt to my fancy DW Valor (stainless). Among others I have a CZ. The Tisas reminds me of it. If either malfunctions, they'd make a great club. As far as reliability, it's as good as any. Accuracy is probably as good as the others. I really like it.

Bama, that dont look half bad and for the price. You and Slater beat the shite out of those things guys and report back. Pretty cool.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast