Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armalite DEF10 or Ruger SFAR?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Going to look at an SFAR this coming week in person. I've read I'll have to change a few things for optimal function, namely the gas block. If I don't like what I see, an Armalite DEF is going to be the pick.

Feedback Score
    I’m sure a lot of people wish they could find parts for their Colt 901’s, 308/6.5 Creed rifles. How will parts availability be for the Ruger long term?

You can get a field repair kit for the Armalite for $60 from Armalite or a 3rd party vendor. A whole bcg for ~$260. In a worst case scenario, you can use easily sourced dpms bcg/barrel combos and keep the Armalite running.

Just food for though in case you plan to keep the rifle long term or put a lot of rounds through it.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So I handled a Ruger SFAR in person. While it was lightweight, it felt cheap. Receivers were good and tight, rail was dainty, gas block was not centered (a common complaint). Receiver extension and plastic spacer felt low cost. It would need upgrades in those, some areas, IMO, to be where I wanted it to be. Thus, making the DEF10, also with upgrades the choice for me.

But, the shop had 2 Beretta A300 Patrol shotguns in stock. I shot one and it was the finest, lightest recoil shotgun I’ve shot and I bought one on the spot. The DEF10 will have to wait.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I recently picked up a POF Revolution DI
    It’s a quality piece, I’m very happy with it thus far. I picked it up for 2100 shipped. The quality and feel is much nicer than the Ruger offering.

**May have been a mistake. Seems to be more than a few issues with POF
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 04-16-23 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    Have a DEF-10. No major modifications.

Got a Tavor 7 and fell in love with that joker. It's better than the DEF-10 in every way except 2.

1. It's a little heavier, unless you planning on installing a heavy forend or changing out the lightweight barrel anyway.

2. It probably won't be as accurate. The DEF10 can be a sub-2 moa gun pretty easily. The Tavor is going to be 2.5-3.5 moa. Tavor twist rate isn't desirable for heavier bullets.

Unless you require AR with match ammo / custom load accuracy get a Tavor 7.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't understand the love for the M14 mags. With the DSA LR pattern you have excellent and widely available PMags.

I've been extremely pleased with the Aero Precision LR pattern I put together. Everyone loves shooting it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrin View Post
    While it was lightweight, it felt cheap.
    That's because it IS cheap.

Big reason I got a 716i was the handguard/gas block/buffer setup. It's still a cheap rifle too but its much sturdier and better all around design.

POF Rogue was the one I really liked but I'm not ready to ride the POF merry go round for a forth time.

And then the ones I really like are the LMT and Larue but I don't want to spend several thousand dollars right now.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I have a POF Revolution and it's been pretty good to me so far. I have complaints, but I also think that it's one of the better short frame .308 ARs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I don't understand the love for the M14 mags. With the DSA LR pattern you have excellent and widely available PMags.
    M14 magazines work and have since 1956.

I've seen P-Mags fail at the most inopportune times. Needless to say, I can't and won't trust them for real-world combat.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I've seen P-Mags fail at the most inopportune times. Needless to say, I can't and won't trust them for real-world combat.
    Does this apply to .308 only or M3 5.56 too?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast