Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armalite DEF10 or Ruger SFAR?

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    got some popcorn............

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Does this apply to .308 only or M3 5.56 too?
    I have two .308 Pmags with cracked spines, both were loaded with the caps on them.
    One fell out of my range bag and the other slid off of the table, that one hit base down and vomited all the ammo.

I have one 20 rounder left from the three that came with the rifle (Ruger SR762).
    The only 20 round mags I buy now are D&H as they work and don't cost much more.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Does this apply to .308 only or M3 5.56 too?
    7.62. I don't know a whole lot of guys who bought their own Magpuls.

Steel HK 416 mags suck outright and they should have been sued by the government for selling us such bad stuff.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Steel HK 416 mags suck outright and they should have been sued by the government for selling us such bad stuff.
    Maybe ASC builds them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ASC was the first ones I tried.
    Complete crap, couldn't even load a mag without the follower tipping over like Guam.

I use them as vice blocks now.

Feedback Score
    That's funny, I've had 2 instructors in classes tell me that the $50 HK mags were the only one's to buy, and they are fairly well known instructors. That being said, I cycle through Lancers, Okay Mags, Duramag, Surefeed and Magpuls in my 5.56 guns and they have all held up well, for my 7.62 Gas guns its mainly Magpuls with some Lancers. Not saying that they can't or won't fail because I've see lots of "the latest and greatest" fail, but I think there is a certain quality of quantity (to quote Joe Stalin), because I probably only have thrown away 8-12 mags in the last 12 years due to cracks, or weak springs.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Double tap
    Last edited by Hank6046; 05-01-23 at 09:59. Reason: double tap
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    That's funny, I've had 2 instructors in classes tell me that the $50 HK mags were the only one's to buy, and they are fairly well known instructors.
    I watched as the Ranger Regiment and 3rd Ranger Battalion teams brought brand-new ones to the Army Small Arms Championships. Every Ranger was pure-HK mags on starting morning (Zero confirmation day).

Every single Ranger had stoppages and feed problems. The only thing different from routine was the HK mags.

They made a cell call on the firing line to get as many GI M4 mags as they could delivered within the half hour.

Seent it with my own eyes. NCOIC was one of my former shooters, went on to become Army Champion, Ranger Regiment Sniper Platoon NCOIC, Sniper School NCOIC, and Delta operator. KIA in Iraq.

Feedback Score
    I watched as the Ranger Regiment and 3rd Ranger Battalion teams brought brand-new ones to the Army Small Arms Championships. Every Ranger was pure-HK mags on starting morning (Zero confirmation day).

Every single Ranger had stoppages and feed problems. The only thing different from routine was the HK mags.

They made a cell call on the firing line to get as many GI M4 mags as they could delivered within the half hour.

Seent it with my own eyes. NCOIC was one of my former shooters, went on to become Army Champion, Ranger Regiment Sniper Platoon NCOIC, Sniper School NCOIC, and Delta operator. KIA in Iraq.
    Oh I believe you. I think that it just shows that people get to rapped up in brand names, and what I still like about taking classes from certain people, is that they have a perspective that I probably don't, and I get a little view into that window, so I get to see if it works for me or not. I'm no longer in and I'm not a LEO, I like to think of my self as prepared citizen and try to act that way and sometimes instructors coming from some worlds can't teach to that, and sometimes they can, but I've always ended up learning something, and sometimes they put me out of my comfort zone and I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    M14 magazines work and have since 1956.

I've seen P-Mags fail at the most inopportune times. Needless to say, I can't and won't trust them for real-world combat.

Interesting data point. Also interesting photo of the Brazilian Ações Táticas guy.

I'm not a PMAG fanboy, and tend to keep okay surefires for 556, but do use PMags as well for range use.

I know you can break a 556 PMag, but I also know the metal ones can dent badly if dropped as well. Maybe you can straighten it out or maybe not.

For 762 I didn't have much choice and went with the LR pattern PMags. It's more of a fun gun for me so I'll probably stick with them and they've been working well so far. And I can get them from several stores locally off the shelf, so tend to pick one up every month or two. I kind of view them as disposable, or certainly wear items.

I've shot a ton of German NATO surplus through alloy and a few steel h&k G3 mags and never had an issue with them. While in the same time frame (late '70s early 80s) Colt AR mags were hard to find, and the ones on the surplus market could be flaky. I'm guessing they were military culls. But some were not, I still have a 1969 20 round Colt AR magazine bought surplus back then.

My impression from CMP types shooting M14s and M1As was that mag availability had been real tight and still isn't great. Maybe checkmate being the only US manufacturer left of decent quality? (But it's quite possible that I'm out of date, not something I followed lately)

If you guys have combat experience indicating they (PMag 7.62 LR pattern) are not trustworthy that's good to know

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast