Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 9x19 grain for Glock pistols?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Bill Wilson was so impressed with Leighi Defense performance he bought the company and he is on record as carrying in his 9mm Leighi Defense
    I’m sure if Winchester ammo was a small company available for purchase within Wilson’s means, and Wilson thought it would do well under his umbrella, he’d be carrying RA9T, and telling us that he does. He certainly wouldn’t say “well, I bought Winchester, but I’m really more impressed with Gold Dots, but Speer wasn’t selling. So I sell Winchester, but carry Speer.”
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Detmongo View Post
    No penetration issues at all.
    Weird. A common theme is that .38, .357 mag, and 9x19 124 / 125 gr bullets that expand well are marginal on penetration or slip sideways and / or get deflected off a straight path. So many variables though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m sure if Winchester ammo was a small company available for purchase within Wilson’s means, and Wilson thought it would do well under his umbrella, he’d be carrying RA9T, and telling us that he does. He certainly wouldn’t say “well, I bought Winchester, but I’m really more impressed with Gold Dots, but Speer wasn’t selling. So I sell Winchester, but carry Speer.”
    I don't know for sure, but I think he was impressed with the hunting rounds by Leighi and that sparked his interest. The pistol rounds just came with the company. Leighi make multiple styles of handgun ammo and he carried the fluted rounds, because they work.

I think the fluted rounds are better than traditional ammo for the following reasons. First they are barrier blind, second they have no cavity to kill up with material so the round becomes like a ball round. I then think in the 357sig round with the over 2000fps speed they will do rifle like damage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    They sell a few brands.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-...partments/221/

Best I can recall from 20 years ago they were selling.45 ACP using VV N320 for low flash and decent velocity with a Speer 200gr, but can't recall if it was the ash tray or gold dot.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “Ash Tray” and you’re dating yourself.

That’s going back a ways, and yeah- I shot them.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I think he was impressed with the hunting rounds by Leighi and that sparked his interest. The pistol rounds just came with the company. Leighi make multiple styles of handgun ammo and he carried the fluted rounds, because they work.

I think the fluted rounds are better than traditional ammo for the following reasons. First they are barrier blind, second they have no cavity to kill up with material so the round becomes like a ball round. I then think in the 357sig round with the over 2000fps speed they will do rifle like damage.

I don't see where they've been tested at those speeds, and Lehigh doesn't list them as a rifle/carbine bullet. The do have an extensive line of rifle bullets too of course. The 357 Legend has its own design, so no overlap there. Has this design been tested within FBI protocols at the velocities you're anticipating? I didn't see anything on YouTube either. I'm not bashing, just asking. It seems to be an omission on their part, or maybe I just didn't find what I was looking for.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Bullet construction is infinitely more important than weight.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    I don't see where they've been tested at those speeds, and Lehigh doesn't list them as a rifle/carbine bullet. The do have an extensive line of rifle bullets too of course. The 357 Legend has its own design, so no overlap there. Has this design been tested within FBI protocols at the velocities you're anticipating? I didn't see anything on YouTube either. I'm not bashing, just asking. It seems to be an omission on their part, or maybe I just didn't find what I was looking for.
    We do need more testing with these bullets at higher velocities.

I did see some testing vs armor.

I wish I could test these myself but I don't have the facilities. I rely on the Underwood-loaded 68 gr Lehigh bullet in three guns. 9mm pistol (1710 fps), 9mm carbine (2120 fps) and .380 (1405 fps). These numbers are from my chronograph best I can recall at the moment.

Feedback Score
    New Lehigh factory.

I wouldn't mind investing in them.

https://youtu.be/8ZXBDTb8iHg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    New Lehigh factory.

I wouldn't mind investing in them.

https://youtu.be/8ZXBDTb8iHg
    Now that Lehigh has some serious money behind them some of these gaps can be closed. IIRC, they've been passed around a bit in the past by investors. Perhaps now things can get serious.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast