Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best 9x19 grain for Glock pistols?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    New Lehigh factory.

I wouldn't mind investing in them.

https://youtu.be/8ZXBDTb8iHg
    Guys I found the new prototype Leigh Defense projectiles they are developing.

But seriously, I wouldnt be jumping ship from JHPs to Lehigh projectiles unless I see some large dept OIS data or autopsy data correlated with lab testing, even something like being backed by professionals like DocGKR would be decent, as far as I know there is nothing but hearsay in terms of real world performance from their bullets.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 03-18-23 at 15:18.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    , as far as I know there is nothing but hearsay in terms of real world performance from their bullets.
    C’mon, man, thats not true. Be fair. There is also hype and misinfo.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I have seen the damage it does on flesh, but not human. It works great Bill Wilson also talks about shooting hogs with it.

The late Jim Cirillo talked about rounds above 1900fps work different than pistol velocity rounds.

When it comes to the 65 grain 357 sig, I have no doubt it will work better than any regular pistol round. It is hitting at the same velocity as an AK or SBR AR

Feedback Score
    There are many of videos of these bullets doing JHP-like damage to meat and gelatin. With more consistent performance than JHP's.

But not from rifles.

Check this one out. Start at 4:30. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWgXc9L9vx0

I think the lightweight Lehigh pistol bullets do as much damage as an expanded hollow point with fewer drawbacks (can't clog, don't have to expand) with additional benefits. (Lighter gun, less recoil, barrier blind, won't break up, can penetrate some armor, less likely to over penetrate)

I do think they aren't as desirable at longer ranges (50 yds?) Because being light they will lose momentum faster than a heavier bullet and may not penetrate enough.

It's interesting how some people who quickly accepted red dot optics on pistols are very skeptical on new-tech bullets.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-19-23 at 13:10.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Best 9x19 grain for Glock pistols?

124gr +P GDHP is what I carry, and it works well on my Glocks and Sigs handguns.
    I like Gold Dots 147gr and Federal HST 147gr too.
    Last edited by 202; 03-19-23 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

It's interesting how some people who quickly accepted red dot optics on pistols are very skeptical on new-tech bullets.
    Its a function of how receptive we are to marketing vs other definitions of performance.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There are many of videos of these bullets doing JHP-like damage to meat and gelatin. With more consistent performance than JHP's.

But not from rifles.

Check this one out. Start at 4:30. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWgXc9L9vx0

I think the lightweight Lehigh pistol bullets do as much damage as an expanded hollow point with fewer drawbacks (can't clog, don't have to expand) with additional benefits. (Lighter gun, less recoil, barrier blind, won't break up, can penetrate some armor, less likely to over penetrate)

I do think they aren't as desirable at longer ranges (50 yds?) Because being light they will lose momentum faster than a heavier bullet and may not penetrate enough.

I watched it, even Andrew agrees at the 9:00 "while it looks cool it doesnt really prove anything" https://youtu.be/FWgXc9L9vx0?t=543

The video conclusion's is that its still a big question mark whether this wounding mechanism actually translates to real world performance. Im not sure how this relates to red dots on pistols, red dots pistols have been around for almost 2 decades in the competition world, and they only hit the main stream about 5 years ago?

Im pretty open minded to new tech if there is sufficient data to back something up, but there isnt in this case. Remember 4.6mm and Five-Seven also produce pretty dramatic temporary stretch cavities and no one is writing home about their spectacular real world performance.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've attended a considerable number of autopsies and seen the end result of handgun ammunition on human flesh. When it comes to ammunition, I want to know how it performs in the field. I don't care about temporary wound cavity, bullet weight or bullet velocity. I want to know the track record of the cartridge. The key question is "how fast did the violent attacker stop after being shot with the cartridge?" You cannot collect that data on the autopsy table or from the medical community. It has to come from people who use the ammunition in a fight and competent witnesses.

Once a significant amount of real-world data is collected, I'll consider a cartridge for defensive carry. Time will tell if Mr. Wilson's LeHigh cartridge is a fight stopper.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I'm only mildly interested in the stretch cavity performance of the Lehigh bullet.

If it cuts a hole as well as a jhp but does so while possessing the other advantages it has that's good enough for me.

I

Feedback Score
    As someone who carried FMJ ammo for years, and still got the job done with our 9mm firearms. I am not sweating it much. I will note that my carry pistol and PDW (soon) is in 357 sig, which is substantially faster than the 9mm. I really have to get out and shoot something alive with the 357 sig.

My brain tells me that 2200-2300 fps, is well 2200-2300fps, and that even without the flutes must produce a lot more damage than a 9mm at 1100-1200 fps.

but

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast