Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for tactical boots

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I really like my Lowa Zephry Mid boots. Lightweight and very durable. I've had 3 pair over the last 15 years or so. They are a bit expensive but you can find them on sale.
    I'll second Lowa - if the last fits your foot well, they're great. I get 3-5 years out of them, really prefer the leather lined to the goretex. I'm in a dry/hot 9 months of the year climate however. Leather lined will turn to shit in LA fast, but they do a desert version with no goretex or leather.

Feedback Score
    Lowa boots are very good, but somewhat consumer oriented. The only brand that makes even better boots is Haix, https://www.haixusa.com/. They make boots mainly for professional users so the brand is not as well known as many others, but Haix boots are the best you can buy, IMHO. Their boots may not be as fashionable, but if you need the best possible performance and durability, you can trust on Haix. I have more pairs than I care to count - the oldest pair is more than 10 years old and still ok.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Lowa boots are very good, but somewhat consumer oriented. The only brand that makes even better boots is Haix, https://www.haixusa.com/. They make boots mainly for professional users so the brand is not as well known as many others, but Haix boots are the best you can buy, IMHO. Their boots may not be as fashionable, but if you need the best possible performance and durability, you can trust on Haix. I have more pairs than I care to count - the oldest pair is more than 10 years old and still ok.
    Heroes Wear Haix.

I've worn Haix for station boots, and while they were fine in that role, I haven't heard anything about how good (or bad) their tactical line is. That being said, nothing they have on that side appeals to me at all, all look far heavier and overbuilt than something I'd want to wear for everyday use or even most outdoors activities.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are looking for more of a military issue type boot, I would also recommend the Garmont t8 boot. I rocked those for a while as well and had no complaints. Multiple years of use. They met their end on a static line jump. One of the seems busted open on landing. Made for a nice walk back. In their defense, I probably should have replaced them long before that.

Feedback Score
    Decker X Lab G8's are the most comfortable out of the box boots I've ever had.
    Decker X Lab is sister company to Hoka, famous for their running shoes.
    Last edited by LDM; 04-05-23 at 13:53. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Not sure if it's been mentionned before but I personally enjoy Underarmour Valsetz. They're more comfortable than my 5.11s for sure.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Maybe you've had a different experience but Merrells quality fell off a cliff post mid 2010's. My Moabs purchased before 2010 saw some pretty hard use and lasted a long time and when I went to purchase a replacement they lasted half as long under the same use, never bought another pair of Merrells ever again.
    They’ve always been kind of hit or miss. Most people have good experiences with them, but a percentage of people experience soles coming loose and stuff like that. The Sawtooth was on the “non-standard boot approved list” in 75rr (Blue Book) back in the day, and I’d guess about 1k dudes were wearing Merrell on any given day across USSOCOM in the early 2000s, so its not a small sampling.

I do still keep two pairs of their trail-running shoes, and two pairs of their business casual leather shoes, and my ex-wife has been using Sawtooths since like ‘06. My own Sawtooths shit the bed in less than a year.

For the OP, foot type and intended use are a necessary part of this discussion.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Not sure if you want high boots, or more of the mid style, but I spend a lot of time hiking, and my favorite boots are the Salomon Quest 4d GTX boots. They are normally $230, but REI has some on sale right now for $169, which, if you can spend the extra $50, you won't be disappointed. I have abused these boots hard and they have held up great.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you want something cheaper, Merrell makes quite a few good options in your price range
    These are my daily drivers right now and I love them. I think I paid 230.00 for mine and don't regret it. They are comfy and have one of the best lace up systems, 511 has a similar one. They allow you to lock in different zones of how tight you like your laces. I'm thinking about grabbing a black pair.

I used to wear Merrels way back when they were decent boots/shoes, but they're not the same company they used to be 10+ years ago.

Last edited by HKaltwasser; 02-10-24 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Just got a pair of the Haix Scout 2 hiking boots, after blowing up some Merrill Moabs- really disappointed with the Merrell build quality. The Haix definitely need break in period, and I hope they get more comfortable- the Merrells, while cheaply made, were good to go out of their box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Heroes Wear Haix.

I've worn Haix for station boots, and while they were fine in that role, I haven't heard anything about how good (or bad) their tactical line is. That being said, nothing they have on that side appeals to me at all, all look far heavier and overbuilt than something I'd want to wear for everyday use or even most outdoors activities.
    That video is cringy AF. Don’t highlight poor shooting on a range that could be navigated with flip flops. Show me how the boots holdup over hardcore terrain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast