Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4140 barrel accuracy

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

4140 barrel accuracy

I understand the mil standard 4150…. is the better steel for durability.

But with the lower carbon content, does 4140 have relatively positive accuracy potential in any way similar to 416?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I understand the mil standard 4150…. is the better steel for durability.

But with the lower carbon content, does 4140 have relatively positive accuracy potential in any way similar to 416?
    The material used does not effect accuracy, the method in which it was made does. A 4140 barrel made by Krieger will be just as accurate as a stainless made by Krieger.

Most production grade OEM stainless AR15 barrels are made the same way with the same tooling as a 4140 from the same company and are not match grade.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When making more precise barrels for accuracy, the added cost of the labor is much higher than the cost of different materials.

Adding a few bucks for a little more corrosion resistance became more common for “match” barrels. So “match” and stainless are now considered the same thing, when it’s actually the quality of work that goes into a barrel that makes it accurate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    When making more precise barrels for accuracy, the added cost of the labor is much higher than the cost of different materials.

Adding a few bucks for a little more corrosion resistance became more common for “match” barrels. So “match” and stainless are now considered the same thing, when it’s actually the quality of work that goes into a barrel that makes it accurate.

Once again, what Todd.K wrote is worth reading a second time.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

Are you saying "match grade" now means they wont last as long as 4150 and no longer means accurate. Barrels made by WOA should be considered match grade but a stainless barrel from PSA or BCA or most other AR15 barrel producers should not be considered match grade unless you mean not for military use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No, I’m saying that “match” and stainless became synonymous to most consumers. For reasons not related to the material being more conducive to making accurate barrels, but they mostly didn’t understand that.

The material cost difference had reduced as the popularity of stainless barrels increased years ago. It may not exist or may even have reversed, but I haven’t been involved in pricing barrel material for some years now.

Feedback Score
    No, I’m saying that “match” and stainless became synonymous to most consumers. For reasons not related to the material being more conducive to making accurate barrels, but they mostly didn’t understand that.

The material cost difference had reduced as the popularity of stainless barrels increased years ago. It may not exist or may even have reversed, but I haven’t been involved in pricing barrel material for some years now.
    Agree, most consumers think every stainless barrel is a match grade barrel.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Agree, most consumers think every stainless barrel is a match grade barrel.
    Doesn’t help that marketing descriptions often say “match grade”. What a vague term.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Doesn’t help that marketing descriptions often say “match grade”. What a vague term.
    Sellers definitely play the game and take advantage of those that do not know..

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks for the clarification from everyone, and I didn’t word my question well.

If I can follow on, my understanding has been that a stainless (416/416R) option will “maintain precision longer” but drop off faster once useful barrel life comes to an end, whereas 4150 will demonstrate a more gradual degradation in accuracy over the life of the barrel. Please correct me if that is wrong. In that context, with equal finishing from the manufacturer assumed, my question would be if 4140 would demonstrate behavior closer to stainless or 4150. My assumption is 4150, but this is the root of my question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast