Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 10FP-LE2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    I'd be more concerned damaging the crown when cleaning.
    I agree that damage while cleaning is a concern. However, the original question dealt with the reason one might cover the muzzle of the rifle, so mentioning other mechanisms that might pose a greater risk of muzzle damage, while useful information, does not answer fly223's original question.

Having said all of that, damage to the chamber and crown while cleaning a bolt gun can be mitigated by always using a bore guide, using a good, one-piece cleaning rod (I like Dewey rods, but there are others), always inserting the rod from the chamber, rather than the muzzle, and removing the cleaning jag from the rod so that it does not damage the muzzle as the rod is drawn back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yrac
    I agree that damage while cleaning is a concern. However, the original question dealt with the reason one might cover the muzzle of the rifle, so mentioning other mechanisms that might pose a greater risk of muzzle damage, while useful information, does not answer fly223's original question.

Having said all of that, damage to the chamber and crown while cleaning a bolt gun can be mitigated by always using a bore guide, using a good, one-piece cleaning rod (I like Dewey rods, but there are others), always inserting the rod from the chamber, rather than the muzzle, and removing the cleaning jag from the rod so that it does not damage the muzzle as the rod is drawn back.
    Precisely. Run it from the chamber, remove from end, extract rod, and repeat.

I like to make sure the crown is protected for the reasons listed above.

The cloth over the end of the barrel was an old paintball condom I had and I liked it so I just throw it over the end to protect dirt from getting in and minor scratches. I figure that since I have it I might as well throw it on.

I also keep the rifle in a hard case providing much better protection.

ETA: At the moment I was fiddling with my scope and now it's on crooked. I think the zero is still maintained but I need to make sure. Arrrgh.
    -Razoreye

Feedback Score
    I have a 10 FP that i picked up[new] around March, so far it will shoot with my 700 VSF. It has a 1 in 10 bbl and likes the 175 gr. SMK's ok, i only have 80 rnds. thru the Savage , so far. My 700 will be for general use, i put a T-24 Weaver on the Savage and plan on trying some F-class with it, the Remy has a 10x Super Sniper, and is easier to shoot.[so far] That 24x is hard for me to get used to, when i break the shot, it seems like it is still floating around a little.

Feedback Score
    I want to get a Savage in .308, Cant wait until I can figure out where the money from?

Where did you guys get your Savages from. I was going to get mine from Wally world.

I think their $336.99 or something like that?

Feedback Score
    I purchased my Savage .308 10FP from gubroker.com for about $430.00 but if you could get one for $336.00 then go for it.

From,
    Joe....

Feedback Score
    If you can find one for $336.99, let me know where! I need a 10FP to keep my 12FV and 9317FV company.

Feedback Score
    I got mine from a local gun shop for $480 or something. Slightly used but it was the exact model I wanted. Go figure, I had to get it.

I don't think Wal-Mart carries the FP model but you can check their catalogue I guess. I'm thinking about picking up another one but not FP, maybe the 110 or something. They're accurate and I LOVE the Accu-Trigger.
    -Razoreye

Feedback Score
    I bought mine at a gunshow in Dallas, paid $550, out the door. I did ditch the plastic stock for a Bell & Carlson [low end] . It is more ridgid than the factory one, and midway had them on sale for $100. I backed the trigger off all i could, it is still a little heavier than my 700, but very shootable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12