Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper buffer for 300BLK build?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Proper buffer for 300BLK build?

Hi all,

Just picked up an LMT buffer kit for a 300BLK build I'm working on. The rifle will have a 10.5" barrel and will be run mostly suppressed. I was wondering since the LMT buffer kit comes with what I believe is an H buffer (3 OZ buffer) if that will suffice or should I be using an H2 buffer? The buffer is said to be a carbine buffer. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The buffer weight you describe is a Carbine buffer, the lightest standard weight.

You may get more direct advice on this in the alternative calibers forum.
    However, my guess is that a Carbine buffer will be too light for a 300BLK suppressed.

For 5.56, an H1 or H2 buffer is going to be standard before suppression. Suppressing adds to pressure and typically benefit will be seen with a heavier buffer. I’d start with an H2 or (possibly) H3 buffer if you are going to run mostly suppressed. Not sure the barrel provenance, but if it is gassed appropriately, you may want to keep the Carbine buffer for use without a suppressors. Too many variables between barrels, especially with 300BLK, to give an answer without your trying it first.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thats what I suspected. I figured I may need an H2. I should've realized that before ordering the kit. I suppose I can always sell the standard buffer since its LMT. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Do you have a standard AR or plan to build another lower?

If so, order an MWS receiver extension kit, save the receiver extension (compatible with A5 buffers) for your next build, and use the included H3 buffer in the lower you are currently building.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No I don't unfortunately. It is what it is. I could always just keep it in case I'm experiencing cycling issues in the future.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    With 300BLK, the biggest variable is supersonic or subsonic ammo.

It depends on the exact barrel, but generally you'll want the lighter buffer for subsonics and the heavier buffer for supersonics.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    BCM used to advise H3’s with their 300 Blk’s.
    That’s what I run and I shoot Barnes Black Tip (110 gr) about exclusively
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    With 300BLK, the biggest variable is supersonic or subsonic ammo.

It depends on the exact barrel, but generally you'll want the lighter buffer for subsonics and the heavier buffer for supersonics.
    So it sounds like I'll probably need both buffers anyway. I shoot whatever I can get my hands on (except steel case) suppressed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    BCM used to advise H3’s with their 300 Blk’s.
    That’s what I run and I shoot Barnes Black Tip (110 gr) about exclusively
    I can get my hands on a H3 easier than I can an H2. I'll probably grab one.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I use h3-H4 for my 9” and 8.3” always suppressed. With your longer barrel I suspect the H3 would be good. But I would test with an H2 if firing supers without a can. Not sure a single buffer weight is optimal for all weight bullets with and without a can.

Correction: My 8.3 has an A5 tube with H3 buffer. Carbine tube with H3 on the 9”.
    Last edited by uffdaphil; 03-14-23 at 01:09.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast