Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper buffer for 300BLK build?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    I use h3-H4 for my 9” and 8.3” always suppressed. With your longer barrel I suspect the H3 would be good. But I would test with an H2 if firing supers without a can. Not sure a single buffer weight is optimal for all weight bullets with and without a can.
    I ran a Spikes ST2 buffer (whatever they consider that) in my 8.3" build when I ran it suppressed with no issues. I used a mixture of rounds with that. I never shot it unsuppressed. I'm assuming that is the equivalent of an H2?

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Does the powdered tungsten make an ST-2 perform like the heavier H2? I have no idea.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If it helps I looked it up, the T2 is 4 Oz.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Almost all of this is going to depend on how gassy the barrel is along with the level of back pressure from your can. And as a warning, the majority of barrel makers are completely confused about how big the gas port for 300 blk should be.

Although I don't like the JP Silent Capture systems for 556 guns I think it can be super helpful with 300 blk. The recipe that we have found to work the best is an SLR adjustable gas block along with a JP heavy SCS. With the gun suppressed adjust the gas with subs to lock back and then give it one or two more clicks. From there you should be good to go with both subs and supers. If you are just shooting supers (no idea why you would do this) just use an H3 or an A5 system with a green springco and A5H2.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This first paragraph is completely true.

Part of the utility and beauty of 300BLK is that it can run well in all 4 modes without an adjustable gas system.

This of course requires the barrel to be configured and ported properly, but it is certainly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Almost all of this is going to depend on how gassy the barrel is along with the level of back pressure from your can. And as a warning, the majority of barrel makers are completely confused about how big the gas port for 300 blk should be.

Although I don't like the JP Silent Capture systems for 556 guns I think it can be super helpful with 300 blk. The recipe that we have found to work the best is an SLR adjustable gas block along with a JP heavy SCS. With the gun suppressed adjust the gas with subs to lock back and then give it one or two more clicks. From there you should be good to go with both subs and supers. If you are just shooting supers (no idea why you would do this) just use an H3 or an A5 system with a green springco and A5H2.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I called LMT they say they use their standard carbine buffer in all their platforms. He said to just run it with the carbine buffer first and if I’m not happy with how it cycles or recoils then to go up to an H buffer but he believes the H2 would even be too heavy and could cause cycling issues.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    .300blk can be a fickle mistress. You have four different combos to account for: suppressed supers, suppressed subs, unsuppressed supers, and unsuppressed subs. Then you have to figure out how many of those combos you want to run. Once that's settled, it's typically recommended to run the heaviest buffer you can that'll reliably lock back on the lowest backpressure combo you intend to use.

I know my 8.3" BA Hanson barrel with a SiCo Omega has a ton of backpressure. I used a BRT EZ tune gas tube to tame it a bit, but it'll still reliably cycle and lock back using suppressed subs with an A5H4 and Sprinco green, so that's what I run.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    Hi all,

Just picked up an LMT buffer kit for a 300BLK build I'm working on. The rifle will have a 10.5" barrel and will be run mostly suppressed. I was wondering since the LMT buffer kit comes with what I believe is an H buffer (3 OZ buffer) if that will suffice or should I be using an H2 buffer? The buffer is said to be a carbine buffer. Thanks.
    Everything depends on the loads you use and the size of the gas port in the barrel. Shoot it with the ammo you plan to use then change the buffer to tune the rifle to your liking.
    Last edited by constructor; 03-16-23 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I tried both an H3 and H4 in my 9.75” PWS running an AAC Tirant 45 can and found no discernible difference using various bullet weights, all subsonic.

Before anyone comments, yes, it’s not the ideal can. It’s a boredom build that exists only because I had that stupid can lying around without a host.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’ll give the carbine buffer a shot once I’m done with this build. I’ll be running my Surefire SOCOM 7.62 mini 2 can on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12