Thread: Newly acquired Ishapore 2A1 7.62

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Newly acquired Ishapore 2A1 7.62

Picked up an ishapore 2A1 7.62 on a whim cause the deal was too good to pass up but I do have some questions. The rifle is dated 1968, which is a mid production according to what I've been able to find. Are these rifles safe to shoot? From what I saw on various sites apparently there was a change in metalurgy during production. I don't plan on putting anything crazy through it, mainly just off the shelf 7.62 ball and hunting loads. I'm hoping that these rifles are capable of shooting cause its a fun gun to play with. Any other info people have is also appreciated, this is my first intro into the retro bolt rifle world. Will update post with some pictures later.
    Last edited by danieljmaunder; 03-14-23 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would say they are a lot like my '43 Spanish Mauser - safe to shoot but not a good idea to run a lot of full power ammo through them. If you handload 308 already, then you should be able to work up some mild loads for it. Keep in mind that commercial 308 and military 7.62 are not the same round, 308 is a bit higher pressure.

Andy

Feedback Score
    it sounds interesting! Can you show some pictures about it?