Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CAG will take anyone?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

CAG will take anyone?

I'd thought the pipeline for Delta was almost exclusively rangers and SF, or at least that was the case at one time. According to prior Unit member via Shawn R show, you can apply regardless of which branch you're in and CAG is a mixed bag as to prior backgrounds and experiences. I also thought they were invite only unit. Was I just wrong or did that change over time?

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    While they get many of their guys invite-only, they routinely hold briefings all over the country, at bases of almost all the services. Ryan had a guy on, Bob Poras, who said his class had a helo crew chief. I remember one guy (former SF) who said his class had an army cook. I know a handful of former CAG guys pretty well, they were all former SF/Ranger. The others are atypical and unusual.

Edited to add, unlike ST6, where you have to be a SEAL, CAG doesn't have MOS/unit-specific criteria, and will take all branches. This is the same as the SAS, who operates the same way.
    Last edited by chuckman; 03-14-23 at 13:46.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yes, selection and OTC are MOS and sending unit immaterial. “Take anyone” is a bit of a misunderstanding. CAG is extremely selective, although the courses are designed to ensure all qualified personnel get a proper chance.

Rangers are highly represented in the Unit.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I remember getting a few emails from them announcing they were basically holding hiring events at Bragg. Never gave it any consideration because, I’m not CAG material and I was just a M-Day Guardsman with no intention of going active and moving across the country.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    While they get many of their guys invite-only, they routinely hold briefings all over the country, at bases of almost all the services. Ryan had a guy on, Bob Poras, who said his class had a helo crew chief. I remember one guy (former SF) who said his class had an army cook. I know a handful of former CAG guys pretty well, they were all former SF/Ranger. The others are atypical and unusual.

Edited to add, unlike ST6, where you have to be a SEAL, CAG doesn't have MOS/unit-specific criteria, and will take all branches. This is the same as the SAS, who operates the same way.
    I know CAG patterned after the SAS, so that makes sense. Sounds like my understanding close to accurate. The way he says it in the vid, sounded more mixed as to who was in the Unit. SEAL pipeline is interesting, and ST6 drawn exclusively from teams far as I know. I know there's been some changes as to who can apply go to BUD's.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes, selection and OTC are MOS and sending unit immaterial. “Take anyone” is a bit of a misunderstanding. CAG is extremely selective, although the courses are designed to ensure all qualified personnel get a proper chance.

Anyone means = any branch. Obviously becoming a member is a very different matter and while they're not as open with their numbers, my understanding is the drop out rate during selection for the small % they even take, likely as high has BUD's, in the 80% range. Some have said higher, but I don't know accuracy of the claim.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post

Any service member of the United States military (including the National Guard and Reserve) can volunteer for Special Mission Unit Selection.

Selection is, by its nature, selective. One must pass on his or her own merits.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think Pannone was a Marine first, CAG has allowed all branches to try out for a while. They also do recruiting briefs and events every so often that aren't too hard to find. Of the SMUs, they're the easiest to get in contact with and start the process IME. The path used to be heavily Ranger to SF to CAG but I've understood it to have generally trended to Ranger to CAG and cutting out the SF now.
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-14-23 at 14:56.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    From what I've heard, while CAG has always been mostly made up of former Rangers and SF guys, it used to include a decent amount of marines as well, mostly from Force Recon and other special operations capable units. I've been told by a few marines that this isn't happening as much anymore, as the Corps thought it would be embarrassing for their best guys to pass over the Raider Regiment in favor of CAG, so they stopped giving marines permission to attend CAG selection.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    For what it's worth, anyone E-5 and above with a minimum of 3 years TIS should receive the email from the recruiting team when they schedule a briefing at their installation. The Unit is addressed by name in the email and the briefing is open to anyone who qualifies to attend OA&S.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast