Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CAG will take anyone?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    I know a sample of one guy who served in three branches...Navy, Army and Marines before he went Delta.

He was a Navy diver but not a seal. He did SF, Ranger and airborne in the Army but was an 11B not an 18.

I think he was Marine Recon when he got the invite.
    How was he in SF if he wasn't a 18 series? Support?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    ... the Rangers are so highly represented is that they are generally younger and CAG felt they can mold them to their model much more so than SF folks.
    The average Operator age at Selection is 26.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Wow I would’ve guessed that they were a lot older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I know things have changed over time. I recall at one time you had to be Sgt to even apply to SF, and the main pipeline to CAG was SF, so they were older. It seems per other comments, they have learned Rangers being a bit younger and more trainable has increased the Ranger pipeline over time. Correct if inaccurate, that's my recollections.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Wow I would’ve guessed that they were a lot older.
    Would be more interesting to know what the average age is of those who survive selection. That might be the more telling metric.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I know things have changed over time. I recall at one time you had to be Sgt to even apply to SF, and the main pipeline to CAG was SF, so they were older. It seems per other comments, they have learned Rangers being a bit younger and more trainable has increased the Ranger pipeline over time. Correct if inaccurate, that's my recollections.

Would be more interesting to know what the average age is of those who survive selection. That might be the more telling metric.
    I don’t really understand how the dark side works but I assumed that 75th being under JSOC had something to do with it too.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t really understand how the dark side works but I assumed that 75th being under JSOC had something to do with it too.

I thought, and could be wrong (would not be the first time today), that the Rangers are under socom, not JSOC.

Feedback Score
    Roger that, that's kind of what I was driving at. To us "old" bastages 26 is a mere pup, but considering (as in my case) that I left for active duty the day after I turned 18 a 26yo is an "older" troop; not quite mid-career yet but certainly experienced by then. Figure at that point most of them already have 7 or 8 years service by age 26. Maybe a seasoned E-5(P) or E-6 by then, but not necessarily yet inculcated with a certain unit "mind set" that CAG can still mold to their own specific mission requirements and mentality.

EDIT: back when I was in during the mid 80's the Rangers were "Super Grunts", which is certainly not a slam as I was just plain-old Airborne Infantry. Over time they began riding "shotgun" for CAG (i.e. Mogadishu in 1993) and became more operator-ish as time went on. Hell, last I heard they don't even have to keep a high-and-tight anymore, which was their hallmark at one time. Things evolve over time and the Rangers are a perfect example of it.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-15-23 at 18:29.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Roger that, that's kind of what I was driving at. To us "old" bastages 26 is a mere pup, but considering (as in my case) that I left for active duty the day after I turned 18 a 26yo is an "older" troop; not quite mid-career yet but certainly experienced by then. Figure at that point most of them already have 7 or 8 years service by age 26. Maybe a seasoned E-5(P) or E-6 by then, but not necessarily yet inculcated with a certain unit "mind set" that CAG can still mold to their own specific mission requirements and mentality.
    I think if you are Military and you've not been injured, your likely to be in your best physical condition between 32 and 35.
    I know I was.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Double Tap

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I think if you are Military and you've not been injured, your likely to be in your best physical condition between 32 and 35.
    I know I was.
    Strength-wise yes. Not sure about endurance. By the ages you mention a guy who went in at 18 or 19 has 15+ years in service. Probably an E-7 by then.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast