Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RDS on EDC - Auto or Manual

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Definitely manual. If your gun is in the dark and your target is in the light (or vice-versa) auto sucks. Not to mention NVG or any kind of inthedark shooting.

Feedback Score
    I have borrowed a Trijicon SRO and RMRCC- both have dot intensity buttons that are big and easier to manipulate. Will evaluate both - auto / manual etc, dot clarity etc.

I have a Holosun 507K with the Vulcan Reticle. Love the green chevron - but the buttons on the Holosun are really small and not easily manipulated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got an rmr 3.25 and a 508t

Both buttons sucks but auto sucks even more.
    The auto is never where you want it.

I also have to figure out how to take the rmr screws out without destroying them because jagerwerks made sure they weren't coming off.

Feedback Score
    I would think that the RMR buttons would be easier to manipulate. I don't have big hands- but I need to use a pen or similar instrument to press the Holosun buttons.

Feedback Score
    Manual

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Most folks I know don't think the auto brightness functionality is good enough for duty/concealed carry use, due to the wash-out issue. The new Holosun SCS has extra front-facing sensors to try to mitigate it, and early reports suggest that it does work much better than the auto-brightness of other Holosuns and manufacturers.

The SRO might be great for competition, but I would not really recommend it for duty/concealed carry, given that it is more fragile, along with the double dot issue that crops up when the sun is low in the horizon.
    This ^^. The SRO has an incredible FOV, but heard lots of reports of glass cracking on moderate drops etc., and most say it's not necessarily duty grade. Jagerworks makes the BROS housing for the SRO which adds a lot of protection if you really want a SRO.

As for brightness, i've used auto extensively on RMRs and other sights, and it's definitely lacking. Manual is a safer bet right now. Haven't tried the Holosun SCS, but i love their constant innovation. .45fan can call people sellouts all he wants for using Holosun, but they're massively leading the innovation of pistol red dots, constantly improving features and technology. I don't see Trijicon or any of the American companies pushing the envelope in that regard. If anything, they'll all be following and mimicking Holosun tech. Sure, i wish Holosun was based in America, but you can't argue they by far the main company right now pushing pistol red dot innovation.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I don't see Trijicon or any of the American companies pushing the envelope in that regard.
    Sadly, America leading the way on any front regarding Quality or Design in ANY product is the rare exception and NOT the rule these days. I don't fault a single guy for buying Holosun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Sadly, America leading the way on any front regarding Quality or Design in ANY product is the rare exception and NOT the rule these days. I don't fault a single guy for buying Holosun.
    Sad but true, and I truly wish it wasn't the case. I have many trijicon sights, and would love to keep buying RMRs over Holosun, if they would just keep up with the tech features that pistol red dots need.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I always run on “Manual” function, and check Dot intensity when I leave home/office.
    Time of day, cloudy, evening/night all affect Dot intensity. I prefer Dot bright enough to pick up quickly, but not “blooming”.
    The “Auto” function doesn’t work well enough for me.
    +1, spot on for me too. Auto function is very subjective IMHO.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for the advice - very helpful,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12