Thread: SA Prodigy Experience

Feedback Score

SA Prodigy Experience

So Grabagun has the 5" Prodigy for $1,299 AND they are less than 2 miles from my home. A bad combination. So I drove over and picked one up. I've wanted to try out the newer generation of DS 1911s for a while now and at this price why not. Yes I know it's not a Staccato and that all the YouTube warriors claim it's junk. So I was expecting the worst and just figured I'd deal with any issues through SA's lifetime warranty. So imagine my surprise that I've put about 1,000 rounds through it with no issues thus far. Fit and finish is very good. It's extremely accurate and soft shooting. Well worth the price IMHO. If I was already into a Staccato or high end double stack of course I wouldn't be messing with the SA but for someone like me just trying out the platform it's been great.

I'm not understanding all the negativity and hate surrounding this gun's release. I've purchased many fine guns over the years that had issues and needed to be repaired or fixed. My first Series 70 Colt wouldn't extract. My new S&W model 29 had a bent crane. Both fixed at no cost and both are fantastic guns still in my collection. All guns can have issues and of course completely new models are going to have bugs. If my Prodigy breaks tomorrow I'll send it in for warranty work. No biggie. I think people's expectations have gotten crazy and they expect everything to function like a Glock. That's not how it works. Anyway, I'm glad I gave the Prodigy a try. I like it.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    So Grabagun has the 5" Prodigy for $1,299 AND they are less than 2 miles from my home. A bad combination. So, I drove over and picked one up. I've wanted to try out the newer generation of DS 1911s for a while now and at this price why not. Yes I know it's not a Staccato and that all the YouTube warriors claim it's junk. So I was expecting the worst and just figured I'd deal with any issues through SA's lifetime warranty. So imagine my surprise that I've put about 1,000 rounds through it with no issues thus far. Fit and finish is very good. It's extremely accurate and soft shooting. Well worth the price IMHO. If I was already into a Staccato or high-end double stack of course I wouldn't be messing with the SA but for someone like me just trying out the platform it's been great.

I'm not understanding all the negativity and hate surrounding this gun's release. I've purchased many fine guns over the years that had issues and needed to be repaired or fixed. My first Series 70 Colt wouldn't extract. My new S&W model 29 had a bent crane. Both are fixed at no cost and both are fantastic guns still in my collection. All guns can have issues and of course, completely new models are going to have bugs. If my Prodigy breaks tomorrow I'll send it in for warranty work. No biggie. I think people's expectations have gotten crazy and they expect everything to function like a Glock. That's not how it works. Anyway, I'm glad I gave the Prodigy a try. I like it.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Glad to hear it's running fine for ya! I have a Staccato P and love it but we all know one is none and 2 is, well always wanted, LOL I have seen the vids also, and who knows some good some not so good but no real glaring issues that wouldn't work themselves out with a little more range time. In the long run, if there are real issues, I'm sure Springfield will work them out. Anyways with that said I can't justify a 2nd $2500+ gun but the Prodigy could be my answer to a similar pistol with similar controls! Plus, I hear the Prodigy mags work in the Staccato so I would hope and assume that the Staccato will work in the Prodigy. I would need to verify that for sure. Cuz I'm a mag freak I have enough Staccato mags for both guns with extras still in the stash, LOL Keep us posted on how she runs for sure.

Feedback Score
    Hilton's update on his that was published yesterday: https://youtu.be/kVrB11xkkZQ

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I own the P Duo and still feel the same way Heavyweight views his purchase. Shit if it doesn't run, SA will fix it. My only other concern was mounting optics, what does the Prodigy accept for RDS options. Need plates ?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    It does take plates Pappabear....it comes with one plate for the Docter footprint.....obviously they would love for you to purchase a Hex Dragonfly which uses that footprint. Other plates are available for $60. They make a plate for virtually any footprint.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It's funny, the more I watch videos about '1911-ish' 9MM, it's such a drag to see all the crap you have to check to make sure they really work. Extractor this, hammer that, check this do-dad, modify that thingamaboby.

I guess I just don't have time for that in my life, so Glocks in 9mmer for me. Maybe I won't make it without the cool-kids 9mmer-19-Eleben with .0045 sec fast splits and uber crisp break triggers. Oh well, it's a risk I'm willing to take I guess...

Feedback Score
    Glocks are fine pistols.....I surely do own a bunch and the 43x is in my carry rotation. But life is too short to just shoot Glocks IMHO. There is just so much I want to try. Sometimes you hit a home run and sometimes you get a lemon. This past year I purchased a Sig P226 Legion, an FN FNX .45 and this Prodigy....I put them all in the home run category. And I bought a Keltec PMR 30 that sucked balls right out of the box. Went back to Keltec twice and now it feeds great. But I knew Keltec's reputation going in and figured I might have an issue. So why did I buy it? I think it's one cool, light, little pistol that holds 30 ****ing rounds of .22 WMR. And I wanted one. No risk, no reward.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Oh I have other firearms, Beretta 92s with LTT triggers, Ruger Single Actions, a couple of HKs, etc, etc.

But to me it videos like Hiltons are a total turn off to 1911 / 2011 / 9MMers. Life is too short to waste time and ammo shooting like that!

Feedback Score
    Considering their lower price point, the Turkish-made 1911's seem to be gaining a following. Their forged frames and slides and CHF barrels are pluses.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Considering their lower price point, the Turkish-made 1911's seem to be gaining a following. Their forged frames and slides and CHF barrels are pluses.
    Glad I bought a blued standard Colt 1911 back in 2011 when they were struggling and selling them for <$700.

The one and only 1911 that I wanted or needed.