Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1:8 barrel twist

Feedback Score
    Seems like higher quality barrels use 1:7.7 or 1:8. When we were testing barrels in 2007 most of the 1:7 twist 6 groove barrels did not meet the minimum bore area spec. that causes higher pressures and more engraving force.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post

I remembered that this barrel didn't do great with Black Hills 70gr GMX Barrier either. That ammo uses Hornady 70gr GMX all copper bullets with a nominal length of 0.9" and produces a gyroscopic stability factor of 2.19 according to Strelok Pro. Not as bad as the Barnes, as I recall, but not good by any stretch.

The Hornady 70 grain GMX has a nominal length of 1.045”. Per Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets, the 70 grain GMX has a nominal gyroscopic stability factor of 1.37 when fired from a barrel with a 1:8” twist. The factory loaded 5.56mm 70 grain GMX shot well from my 1:8” twist Lothar Walther barreled AR-15.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Seems like higher quality barrels use 1:7.7 or 1:8. When we were testing barrels in 2007 most of the 1:7 twist 6 groove barrels did not meet the minimum bore area spec. that causes higher pressures and more engraving force.
    We run a 30 cal cut rifle barrel made a thowy or so under-bored. It's chambered in 300WM and definitely bucks a bit harder.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I occasionally read opinions that, all else being equal, a 1/9 barrel will have a longer service life than a 1/7 barrel. Any validity to that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We run a 30 cal cut rifle barrel made a thowy or so under-bored. It's chambered in 300WM and definitely bucks a bit harder.
    I have had a small bore Krieger 300RSAUM Palma contour barrel since 2008, one of the most accurate barrels I have ever owned. It's a perfect match for Lapua bullets.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    The Hornady 70 grain GMX has a nominal length of 1.045”. Per Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets, the 70 grain GMX has a nominal gyroscopic stability factor of 1.37 when fired from a barrel with a 1:8” twist. The factory loaded 5.56mm 70 grain GMX shot well from my 1:8” twist Lothar Walther barreled AR-15.

Thank you for that correction!
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I occasionally read opinions that, all else being equal, a 1/9 barrel will have a longer service life than a 1/7 barrel. Any validity to that?
    Going to cost me a pile of money and time to wear out one if I have all three to shoot from...

1/7, 1/8, 1/9

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I remember that notion when ARs started to evolve from the old A1 1/12 to 1/9 and finally to 1/7. The reality is that throat erosion is the barrel killer, and twist rate has no impact on that wear.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I remember that notion when ARs started to evolve from the old A1 1/12 to 1/9 and finally to 1/7. The reality is that throat erosion is the barrel killer, and twist rate has no impact on that wear.
    Yep, and that pretty much has to do with the material property of the steel, how hot you get your barrel and the flame temp of the powder you're burning of which there is very little data on.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Yep, and that pretty much has to do with the material property of the steel, how hot you get your barrel and the flame temp of the powder you're burning of which there is very little data on.
    Actually, there is an abundance of data on the subject, it is just that little of it is published in layman's terms, or easily accessed.

However, in simplistic terms, ball propellants are the mildest for throat erosion, then single based stick, and last double based stick.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast