Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tale of two uppers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A tale of two uppers

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these two uppers? I called Optics Planet and they weren't sure. They said the DD upper with the Surefire flash hider wasn't available any more.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/daniel-...-mil-spec.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's weird - neither description mentions the sure-fire, they both talk about the DD extended bidcage.

Several comments mention that they didn't get the device they wanted, one guy said:

There are two problems though worth noting… The first is the muzzle device debacle; the description does not stay up to date with the item being shipped; many comments show receiving one with a A2 birdcage type, but the description said a Sure Fire device; The description was changed to indicate that fact, and I wanted the birdcage device, but I received one with the SureFire device instead.

So, it would be my SWAG that the more expensive upper did have a SF device, but for some reason they screwed something up in the picking and shipping area and we're shipping whichever the picker grabbed.

The price difference is just about the price difference between a DD extended birdcage ($55 list) and a SF 3P ($99 list).

Hmmm...
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Good ol' Optics Planet, clear as mud.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    OpticsPlanet... nuf said...

Best thing to do is search for the part / item number to get a real description of what you might get.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these two uppers? I called Optics Planet and they weren't sure. They said the DD upper with the Surefire flash hider wasn't available any more.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/daniel-...-mil-spec.html
    The cheaper one says “cerakote” and it’s skew implies it’s the first optics planet upper. The more expensive one has a skew implying it’s the second upper like this, but no mention of cerakote. I’d assume it’s all anodized. It looks darker in the photo.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    There's too many vendors that have their $*** together to be wasting time with Optics Planet.

I had two not so great experiences with them recently. The first was for a set of Peltors that were "In Stock". It took them close to two weeks to ship. I don't understand how a company so big as Optics Planet needs two weeks to ship something that was "In Stock".

The second was a Steiner P4Xi with the PT3R reticle that was listed at $499 (That is a low price for what they go for today). They had an identical one that was listed at $700 or $800, I can't remember but the product descriptions were identical so I used their CS chat feature.

The employee didn't end up knowing, and pushed the question up. I eventually got an answer that the more expensive on included some magnifier (this was no where in the product description). I ended up putting the lower priced one in my cart. The next day when I went to check out they raised the "sale" price to $700. I emailed asking if they would honor the $500 price I had in my shopping cart and they said no, so I ended up not buying it.

They said prices were subject to change at any time, which is fine. I just didn't want to spend that kind of money with a vendor that can't seem to do the simple things. I don't want to imagine having to use a warranty/return with them.

Kind of off topic, but I figured it might save you some headache.

ETA: I got an email from them to review my last purchase (the Peltors), I wrote about the shipping taking abnormally long for something in stock. I got a follow up email from them saying my review was "rejected" and would not be posted on the page.
    Last edited by w3453l; 03-19-23 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Don’t buy anything from optics planet. I got lucky with a couple of mounts but in general it’s risky. Very risky.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Don’t buy anything from optics planet. I got lucky with a couple of mounts but in general it’s risky. Very risky.

PB
    Seconded.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    OpticsPlanet... nuf said...

Best thing to do is search for the part / item number to get a real description of what you might get.
    This 100%

I had a issue with them about a Harris bipod.
    Like yo the picture of the one I ordered had a traditional bipod mount but had a mlok adapter.

Like sweet I could use any bipod under the sun if I didn't like the Harris.

Well I got one that was a direct mlok mount with no swivel just can't..

The headache I got trying to explain to them about this made me so angry.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Didn't see these responses until it was too late. That looked like a great price on a DD upper (even for the one with the DD flash hider) so I pulled the trigger. I'll let you know how things go.
    Last edited by odugrad; 03-19-23 at 19:22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast