Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen5 G19 10 round magazine testing

Feedback Score

Glock Gen5 G19 10 round magazine testing

I recently purchased a few Gen5 G19 mags for out of state travel to states with hi-cap mag laws. I haven’t seen much traffic regarding the Gen5 10 rounders, so I thought I’d share my testing results, given the spotty history of OEM Glock 10 round G19 mags.

The magazines sport the Gen5 base plate, with an orange colored 2183-2 follower. Witness holes indicate the rounds accurately, in the magazine tube. I was able easily load 10 rounds into each magazine without the need for a loading tool. The fully loaded magazines were easy to seat into my pistol with the slide forward. Given the reported issues some have had in the past, with Gen 3/4 G19 10 round mags, specifically with flat-nose profile ammo, I began my testing with (4) loads that I carry/shoot regularly. I utilized a Gen5 Glock 19 MOS, with EPS Carry RDS and TLR-7A.

100 rounds -Winchester Ranger-T 147gr 9mm
    100 rounds -Gold Dot 124gr +P 9mm
    40 rounds -Underwood 147gr +P hardcast coated 9mm
    200 rounds -Winchester 115gr FMJ 9mm

Zero malfunctions/and or failures to feed with any of the rounds tested. I will continue to use the magazines in future testing and training, but so far so good.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sounds like typical Glock OEM magazine performance, which is why OEM is all I use for my SD handguns.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Sounds like typical Glock OEM magazine performance, which is why OEM is all I use for my SD handguns.
    The 10 round mags generally suck and aren’t reliable.

Did they change anything functionally about the Gen5 10 rounders? The standard Gen5 mags are functionally identical to the Gen3/4 mags.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Ok, I didn’t know that. The only 10 rounders I own are ones that are supposed to be 10 rounders and they have always functioned flawlessly.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score

Did they change anything functionally about the Gen5 10 rounders? The standard Gen5 mags are functionally identical to the Gen3/4 mags.
    That was I thought initially about OEM Glock 10 round magazines… that they were inherently unreliable with certain bullet profiles, namely wide-mouthed/flat profile JHPs. This belief was based solely on what I had read on Internet forums, with many simply discrediting them without providing any research or facts.

I wanted to see for myself, and test them with as many different JHPs that I could get my hands on… in order to prove or disprove the reliability claims.

As far as what has been changed… it appears that Glock is utilizing a different follower (orange 2183-2) and the larger base plate in the Gen5 10 round Glock 19 magazine.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The problem with the Glock ban mags was not just random internet talk. LE in California who did a lot of HP shooting were the main source of validation that there was a problem. The failure rate was enough to cause concern but not enough to be immediately obvious.

As I recall it took a large sample size and lot of rounds to confirm it was a systemic problem with HP. I’d say a few hundred rounds in testing is just a good start.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The problem with the Glock ban mags was not just random internet talk. LE in California who did a lot of HP shooting were the main source of validation that there was a problem. The failure rate was enough to cause concern but not enough to be immediately obvious.

As I recall it took a large sample size and lot of rounds to confirm it was a systemic problem with HP. I’d say a few hundred rounds in testing is just a good start.
    That’s pretty interesting… I wonder why an LE agency would test 10 round mags, seeing that they were exempt through the 94’ mag-ban and the CA state 2000 mag-ban… I’m curious as to the agencies and more specifically the date/years that the testing took place… perhaps if these tests occurred years ago, it could explain why the older Gen3 or Gen4 Glock 19 ten-round mags had certain issues… I intentionally selected the Gen5 10 round mags because they’re Glock’s latest iteration of this product.

On that note….

I tested the following loads through my Gen5 19 MOS, using the same (2) test sample Gen 5 G19 10 round magazines (w/ 2183-2 Orange followers):

50 rounds Speer 147gr G2
    50 rounds Hornady Critical Duty 135gr Flex Lock
    50 rounds Federal 124gr HST
    200 rounds Winchester 115gr FMJ White Box
    *the HST by far, had the largest diameter hollow-point of any rounds fired to date*

ZERO malfunctions/or failure to feed stoppages with any rounds today.

Stay tuned for more testing... so far so good!
    Last edited by eric0311; 03-19-23 at 11:06.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It was not any dept use or testing as I recall. Larger dept range masters saw more problems with the 10 round mags of privately owned off duty guns.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)

Did they change anything functional about the Gen5 10-rounders? The standard Gen5 mags are functionally identical to the Gen3/4 mags.
    This has always been news to me! Everyone talks about how "bad" the 10rd mags are, well myself and countless fellow NYers have used them forever and put 1000+++++ rds down range and never had what appeared to be a magazine issue. Maybe we are just lucky ! I have a 19X with the 3 mags that came with it and countless other Glock 10 rd mags, no problems. But I guess if it's on the internet then it's gotta be true,,LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    This has always been news to me! Everyone talks about how "bad" the 10rd mags are, well myself and countless fellow NYers have used them forever and put 1000+++++ rds down range and never had what appeared to be a magazine issue. Maybe we are just lucky ! I have a 19X with the 3 mags that came with it and countless other Glock 10 rd mags, no problems. But I guess if it's on the internet then it's gotta be true,,LOL
    Exactly.
    EATADIK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast