Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coach Guns

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    After watching the video of the "cut" shotgun shells, I wondered if you might be over pressuring the barrel because you are forcing the top of the shell through the barrel, which is bigger in diameter than the inside of the barrel.
    That was my thought too. I thought the sidewall material might create too much seal in the bore and spike pressure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That was my thought too. I thought the sidewall material might create too much seal in the bore and spike pressure.
    I think the seal is so poor and payload crushable that it just isn't enough to matter. Just my WAG.

Feedback Score
    After watching the video of the "cut" shotgun shells, I wondered if you might be over pressuring the barrel because you are forcing the top of the shell through the barrel, which is bigger in diameter than the inside of the barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I think the seal is so poor and payload crushable that it just isn't enough to matter. Just my WAG.
    I think this is a concern, but I know guys in AZ who have played the cut shell game for a while with no Kabooms. The wad is built to seal against the bore and would seal inside the hull. The additional OD almost certainly increases pressure. My guess would be that the "safety valve" is that critical overpressure would push the shot/wad through the crimp.

Just a theoretical exercise on my part. I have never tried the cut shell thing. If I want a slug I load a slug. I am a big fan of the Lyman 525gr loaded in an AA. In preloaded I like Federal and Brenneke. Pretty sure any of those three will have better results than a cut shell.

Feedback Score
    I think the cut shell trick is good to know… if just for the slim chance you’re in a situation where you need something more substantial than birdshot, but all you’ve got is birdshot. Probably EOTWAWKI, but good to know anyway.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't seen that done since the 1960's. Old school trick.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think the cut shell trick is good to know… if just for the slim chance you’re in a situation where you need something more substantial than birdshot, but all you’ve got is birdshot. Probably EOTWAWKI, but good to know anyway.
    Sad day if all you have is a bird gun.

Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I haven't seen that done since the 1960's. Old school trick.
    ATF should put out a ruling to ban it! It's clearly armor piercing mass shooter type stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Sad day if all you have is a bird gun.
    It was enough for Mad Max

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Does anyone know if side by side or over under is generally considered easier to open?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Does anyone know if side by side or over under is generally considered easier to open?
    Longer barrels easier to open. Beyond that it depends on the design.

SXS easier to quickly reload than an O/U.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Got me a modern day coach gun.
    v3.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast