Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coach Guns

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What wildman came up with this idea??
    I first read of them about 25 - 30 years ago when I was taking a forensic science class. It was in this text: https://books.google.com/books/about...d=6f1NAQAAIAAJ and https://www.amazon.com/Gunshot-Wound.../dp/0849381630

IIRC, the author also stated that he had never seen a case of secondary injury due to overpenetration of a slug.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I first read of them about 25 - 30 years ago when I was taking a forensic science class
    Of all the goofy stuff I've tried, I'd never think to cut a shell like that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Had a new Stoeger years ago. I don't think the design has changed but it needed high brass ammo to cock the second hammer. Single trigger internal hammers.

Had an 80's Rossi that was kinda tough to break open because it cocked both internal hammers. Double triggers. Worked fine.

Had a Baikal 12 ga sxs. Didn't work at all when new. Returned for full credit.

Had a Steven's 311 16 ga sxs. Would sometimes fail to fire. Got it fixed. Just out of the warranty it started misfiring again. Sold as parts.

Have had a three Yldiz doubles that have worked fine for the few hundreds of rounds I've had them. Two 20 ga and a 28 ga. Kept the 28 ga. All o/u internal hammers & single triggers.

I want a sxs 12 ga. Willing to cut it down but would like to hear about someone else's experience with that with a Yldiz.

Yldiz is probably the best roll of the dice. I think they have a lifetime warranty through Academy Sports. Bring it to the store and tell them to call ya when it's ready IIRC.

But not if I've chopped it.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-23-23 at 13:52.

Feedback Score
    Definitely a learning curve with double triggers.
    The safety on my Savage (hammerless) double sets itself every time you open/close the action. That was harder for me to remember when topping off than which bang switch to tug for which barrel for some reason.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Of all the goofy stuff I've tried, I'd never think to cut a shell like that.
    Oh yes. Cut a bird shot shell just right and it turns into something entirely different.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 300blkjunkie View Post
    The safety on my Savage (hammerless) double sets itself every time you open/close the action. That was harder for me to remember when topping off than which bang switch to tug for which barrel for some reason.
    That was very easy for me to disable on a friend’s Stoeger.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Bought one of the Stoeger 12ga coaches, double triggers, internal hammers. Wife wanted a boomer so oh well lets get ya one.

I could operate it out of the box but it was very tight and rough. She couldn't unless bracing / holding it just right. After about 30 min of watching youtube, some sanding wheels / paper and a quick trim of the break open spring & rod, it is super smooth and the safety no longer automatically resets when opening. I shot 30 rounds through it with zero issues.

It's certainly not an operator or high level HD gun, but for someone with limited skills, it's easy to load / unload and two 12ga buck is far better than harsh language and nothing else. Not everyone (even sorta gun people) can run a Benelli M4, Beretta 1301, or Mossy 930 effectively. The double is simple to use and I see it's utility. A 20ga might be a better option for some, but I figure anyone in my house and family can run at least 2 00-Buck if needed.

Feedback Score
    There is just something romantic about a hammer coach. Must be all those old westerns I watched as a kid. I've "almost" bought one a few times. Just for fun. The cost of a quality example has always put the kibosh on it for me in the end.

Feedback Score
    The only coach scattergun I would want would be the CZ with exposed hammers.
    Here is a video that offers some interesting thoughts on shooting an exposed hammer coach gun…
    https://youtu.be/E8GF3sJGJ-0

Feedback Score
    After watching the video of the "cut" shotgun shells, I wondered if you might be over pressuring the barrel because you are forcing the top of the shell through the barrel, which is bigger in diameter than the inside of the barrel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast