Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which FTS magnifier sucks the least? first worse?

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I had the whole Unity setup for a few years on my 12.5" barrel carbine, using their Aimpoint micro mount, flip to the center magnifier mount and a 3x magnifier. *For me* the setup wasn’t bad but it wasn't that great either, the setup does have a place for some people, but the 2.26" was higher than the height I prefer (1.930”) if not using night vision , and *my eyes* really needed more magnification at times, so I dumped everything but the T2. Overall on my 14.5" barreled carbine, *I* just like using a LPVO (1-6X) Kahles G4B SFP reticle (this particular K16i reticle is very bright, even in direct sun light against a white background) in a Badger 1.70 “ mount with their a 35 degree 1.930" height J-Arm ( it's just a little more heads-up when rotating the rifle) and a Aimpoint ACRO, much better out to 400yds. On my lightweight 11.5 suppressed carbine, an Aimpoint T2 on a Scalarworks 1.93" mount is all I need, along with they’re soon to be released 1.93" flip up BUIS's.
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-21-23 at 22:07.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Not a fan of the lever location on the Vortex mount. If you run the magnifier all the way back, the QD lever is right against your charging handle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Not a fan of the lever location on the Vortex mount. If you run the magnifier all the way back, the QD lever is right against your charging handle.
    I guess I just lucked out. The logical pic rail spots on the few guns I tried left nothing for my to complain about. And believe me... I'll bitch about some stuff if given a reason. The Vortex was literally a one stop purchase. I didn't feel it lacked anything or needed any changes for what it was.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have two Aimpoint 3x-Cs, one in a Unity mount and one in the Aimpoint Flip & Twist off mount.

They both work fine but honestly their main utility is helping zero the RDS and they are often not installed on the rifles.

If I think I need magnification, I have a rifle with a 1-6/1-8 or higher optic.

I had an older Vortex for awhile, it seemed fine for the money

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I had an older Vortex for awhile, it seemed fine for the money
    We put the Vortex behind my Comp M3 Saturday, and it was nice. No doubling of the dot on that sight for whatever reason. The only issue was the dot is 4 MOA. That never bothered me at all until it was magnified. Dot seems huge on targets beyond 300.

Again, the thing I noticed is that hit probability is not one bit better with a magnifier. I'm almost more confident with Irons. But you do get target identification.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have a Vortex Micro 3x magnifier for occasional use, and it doesn't suck IMO. When I use it, I put in the farthest rearward notch I can. It's not all way at the rear because I have Magpul MBUS Pros installed, but in this location I'm able to get good eye relief with my stock properly extended, and it doesn't get in the way of the charging handle (Radian Raptor).
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good stuff, I'm really thinking about getting the hs503g

I really hate chevrons, but other options for a reticle red dot is just about non existent.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Good stuff, I'm really thinking about getting the hs503g

I really hate chevrons, but other options for a reticle red dot is just about non existent.
    Yeah, Eotech has their extra dot models and I think those & the ACSS model you mention are really only useable with a 3x.

I bought one of those Holosuns and without a magnifier, the dots and chevron were pretty useless. Not at large as the chevron on the pistol Holosuns (which I like), so I returned it. It's just a small chevron and line of dots, much like any 'BDC' reticle at 1x, it's not really helpful.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I have a Vortex Micro 3x magnifier for occasional use, and it doesn't suck IMO. When I use it, I put in the farthest rearward notch I can. It's not all way at the rear because I have Magpul MBUS Pros installed, but in this location I'm able to get good eye relief with my stock properly extended, and it doesn't get in the way of the charging handle (Radian Raptor).
    Update: The Micro3x does absolute and lower 1/3 cowitness out of the box. The Micro6x also includes a 1.93" riser. I emailed Vortex and asked how to get the riser and they sent me the riser and screws for free, even though I offered twice to pay for it.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Damn. AR15Discount had the Vortex for stupid cheap the other day... like $129 or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast