Thread: Texas armed standoff ends after 15 years

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Texas armed standoff ends after 15 years

I vaguely recall this one. Was that the best way to handle it by LE based on what kicked it off?

TRINIDAD, Texas – After almost 15 years, what is believed to be the longest armed standoff in American history quietly came to a peaceful close earlier this week.

John Joe Gray was arrested in 1999 for assaulting a state trooper during a traffic stop. Gray said it was his God-given right to carry the pistol he had that day, without a concealed handgun license. When the trooper tried to arrest him, Gray got into a scuffle with the officer and bit him.

Gray was eventually charged with assaulting a public servant, but he refused to return to court, and instead, armed himself at home.

"If they come out after us, bring extra body bags. Those who live by the sword will die by the sword," Gray told ABC News in a 2000 interview.

Since the felony charge in 1999, Gray has never left his 47-acres along the banks of the Trinity River between Tool and Trinidad, Texas.

Instead, Gray, his children, grandchildren, and friends patrol their property with pistols and rifles and refuse to let strangers inside.

cont:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ears/78553518/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Holy crap! I can't believe they let him go that long without burning up some kids, oh right Texas not FBI. That kind of reminds me of this guy.

The Japanese WWII Soldier Who Refused to Surrender for 27 Years
    Unable to bear the shame of being captured as a prisoner of war, Shoichi Yokoi hid in the jungles of Guam until January 1972
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I thought this was current news, then I read...

And while it may be easy to draw comparisons between the standoff currently underway in Oregon and what happened in this rural Texas county, the situations are completely different, according to Nutt.

"Those folks have occupied a public building. Joe Gray is on 47-acres that he owns out there," the sheriff explained.

The Grays painted their paranoia on signs posted along their fence. “Vaccinations equal annihilation” reads one of the anti-government messages.

So I guess they didn't take the jab either.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I vaguely recall this one. Was that the best way to handle it by LE based on what kicked it off?

TRINIDAD, Texas – After almost 15 years, what is believed to be the longest armed standoff in American history quietly came to a peaceful close earlier this week.

John Joe Gray was arrested in 1999 for assaulting a state trooper during a traffic stop. Gray said it was his God-given right to carry the pistol he had that day, without a concealed handgun license. When the trooper tried to arrest him, Gray got into a scuffle with the officer and bit him.

Gray was eventually charged with assaulting a public servant, but he refused to return to court, and instead, armed himself at home.

"If they come out after us, bring extra body bags. Those who live by the sword will die by the sword," Gray told ABC News in a 2000 interview.

Since the felony charge in 1999, Gray has never left his 47-acres along the banks of the Trinity River between Tool and Trinidad, Texas.

Instead, Gray, his children, grandchildren, and friends patrol their property with pistols and rifles and refuse to let strangers inside.

cont:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ears/78553518/
    Sounds like the LE at Uvalde might have stepped aside and let the Gray family gain access to the shooter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "The felony charge of assaulting a peace officer was actually dismissed in December 2014, when the district attorney left office. But for some reason, no one notified the Henderson County Sheriff's Office or even the Gray family, until now."

The irony that had the Sheriff tried to arrest him after December 2014, it would have been an unlawful arrest is not lost.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Holy crap! I can't believe they let him go that long without burning up some kids, oh right Texas not FBI. That kind of reminds me of this guy.

The Japanese WWII Soldier Who Refused to Surrender for 27 Years
    Unable to bear the shame of being captured as a prisoner of war, Shoichi Yokoi hid in the jungles of Guam until January 1972
    And Hiroo Onoda held out on the Philippine island of Lubang until March of 1974.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Texas armed standoff ends after 15 years… or…. news story makes M4C after 7 years… haha