Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oversized muzzle device bore - Impact on flash and accuracy

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Oversized muzzle device bore - Impact on flash and accuracy

I am putting together a couple lightweight carbines for my older children who have started going to the range with me. I have one 14.7” pencil BA barrel and plan to pick up a couple more, though I’m not married to that. I would prefer to set these up to use suppressors, though that is not how I started.

I have a Dead Air Micro flash hider on my 300 BLK, which is actually designed for 9mm.

If I drop these on a 5.56 barrel, is the flash suppression going to be that much less than an A2?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    If I drop these on a 5.56 barrel, is the flash suppression going to be that much less than an A2?
    It might, but I doubt you will notice it that much without time lapse photography . . .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The thread pitch is the same??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I am putting together a couple lightweight carbines for my older children who have started going to the range with me. I have one 14.7” pencil BA barrel and plan to pick up a couple more, though I’m not married to that. I would prefer to set these up to use suppressors, though that is not how I started.

I have a Dead Air Micro flash hider on my 300 BLK, which is actually designed for 9mm.

Have a pair of .223 match barrels that I had threaded for 5/8x24 and run .308 A2 flash hiders on usually / most often. I cant tell a licks worth of difference in flash suppression between them and a regular 5.56 setup with a regular 5.56 A2.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Have a pair of .223 match barrels that I had threaded for 5/8x24 and run .308 A2 flash hiders on usually / most often. I cant tell a licks worth of difference in flash suppression between them and a regular 5.56 setup with a regular 5.56 A2.
    Shooting some H335 in low light would be a good test. That powder is camera flashy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Shooting some H335 in low light would be a good test. That powder is camera flashy.
    That and TAC are 'mostly' what I use and stock heavy on.

And yes, without a flash hider those same barrels (and same ammo) will light the shit out of a very well lit room every time you pull the trigger.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    That and TAC are 'mostly' what I use and stock heavy on.

And yes, without a flash hider those same barrels (and same ammo) will light the shit out of a very well lit room every time you pull the trigger.
    So it would seem the big FH works good. I've never noticed TAC to be flashy, but H335 and a chamber brake are comical. I only keep a lb of H335 on hand for that reason. It's hollywood cool.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The thread pitch is the same??
    Yep, they make a version in 1/2-28

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep, they make a version in 1/2-28
    That's handy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We saw a noticeable difference between an A2 sized AR10 flash suppressor with 0.338 bore and another with 0.462" bore.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast