Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, the Fed raised the intrest rate again by a 1/4 of a point.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

So, the Fed raised the intrest rate again by a 1/4 of a point.

Will this cause another series of "SVB like Banks" fail?

I'm betting so, unless they've already taken action, they are kinda screwed...

Feedback Score
    It will most certainly put pressure on those banks that went balls deep into treasuries when the fed rate was near zero...
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I was reading the WSJ article on SVB's scramble to borrow from the banking cartels. They'd probably have been able to cover their butts on their own, but ran out of time. Apparently borrowing that kind of money takes a minute or two.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Every day I see something that is so stupid, that it must be by design.

Destroy the economy, you destroy middle class paving the way for a marxist revolution

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I was reading the WSJ article on SVB's scramble to borrow from the banking cartels. They'd probably have been able to cover their butts on their own, but ran out of time. Apparently borrowing that kind of money takes a minute or two.
    That it take time to raise that money is of course going to take time. At this point I would think everyone running a Bank should know exactly where they stood, especially the day after SVB's demise.
    I would imagine due to the current enviroment, if you over did it with the bonds, you had better make that known and put on some knee pads and get secured.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Since the FDIC/FED have said they will back all deposits, it "probably" won't be a problem. Based on my understanding of what happened.

What hit SVB wasn't that they had treasuries with low interest rates (we all have them if you invest in bond market funds), it was that they didn't have them marked to market (actual value) AND once some of their big customers found out that they didn't actually have them valued correctly, panicked, and started pulling all their money out. A lower coupon bond still has value, just not as much as its face value. When everyone started pulling out their money, SVB had to sell those assets to cover and since they weren't valued correctly they didn't have enough money to cover all their deposits and "poof".

Since the "run on the bank" scenario is being back stopped by the government (yay, another banking moral hazard), the likelihood of a run is reduced and hopefully other banks have their assets appropriately valued and have been buying assets to cover their deposits appropriately.

But then again, who knows with the tangled web of crony capitalism.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

Destroy the economy, you destroy middle class paving the way for a marxist revolution
    I don't disagree with this. Between the monumentally retarded waste by the US Legislature and Biden, and the fukkaloids in CA wanting to pay reparations to people who've never been wronged??? You can't tell me that these people are REALLY this fukking incompetent.

However, in SVB's case, I think I believe what one manager wrote.... They were running the bank like a hedge fund, and not like a bank... Greedily putting all their eggs in one basket.
    Last edited by markm; 03-24-23 at 15:04.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So, the Fed raised the intrest rate again by a 1/4 of a point.

Heels up Harris had her money in SVB. I’m sure that didn’t have anything to do with the bail out.

You also won’t see that on the propaganda networks.

Large withdrawals, from wealthy folks who heard they were in trouble made them illiquid, not insolvent. It was the deliberate inaction by the idiots in charge that led to the situation and cascade effect.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 03-24-23 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

Naaah... we’re actually getting dumber.

Are we growing more dumber? Americans’ IQ scores drop in four of five measurements

https://studyfinds.org/americans-iq-test-scores-drop/
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=markm;3096761]I don't disagree with this. Between the monumentally retarded waste by the US Legislature and Biden, and the fukkaloids in CA wanting to pay reparations to people who've never been wronged??? You can't tell me that these people are REALLY this fukking incompetent.[quote]

It’s not only CA.

Philly is going to pay $1K per month to anyone in select communities that get pregnant. This is on top of all the other .gov assistance they get. All being done to help cure infant mortality.

I guess if you get pregnant on purpose, collect $8-9K then have an abortion at the last minute it can be counted as a pregnancy that didn’t lead to an infant mortality. Rinse and repeat for another $8-9K. “Look at all the pregnancies happening and dead baby numbers have gone down, we solved the problem!!!”

https://nypost.com/2023/03/22/philad...lvable-crisis/
    Last edited by john armond; 03-24-23 at 17:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast