Thread: Old gun new build project.

Feedback Score

Old gun new build project.

https://ibb.co/K9P8fjp

I have an old Remington model 700 lefty in .270 Winchester, 1970’s I believe. It’s old and a little worn and I’m planning on breathing some new life into it. I ordered a KRG bravo stock, aics mags, and an area 419 20 moa scope rail. No idea how worn the barrel is but it looks a little rough to my eye. Thinking on rebarreling it into .280AI for an all around hunting and target/range rifle. Any suggestions or ideas would be awesome. Not sure if I should have it blue printed and all that or not. Thinking about ordering a barrel from preferred barrels that utilizes the remage nut. Also the bolt looks like it’s worn/burnt. Is there any way to clean this up and make it look a little nicer.

https://ibb.co/9HYF0Tt
    https://ibb.co/yFPpPwZ
    Last edited by graffex; 03-26-23 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with that rifle.

Blueprinting and a new barrel would definitely breathe new life into it. A Remington Varmint taper is a sweet spot between hunting and too heavy. Area 419 and maybe a few dozen other manufacturers make fine muzzle brakes to tame recoil.

The KRG Bravo is an awesome stock -- I love mine. I had the action bedded to the chassis.

This was what my old blue-printed 308 700 Varmint looked like with a trued factory barrel bedded into the H-S Varmint stock:

... and how it grouped:

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    I already have a bravo stock on a 10/22 so I know I love it. I’m not entirely convinced the M700 action is worth blue printing as apposed to just buying a custom action. Might just rock the action as it is with a new barrel and drive on and get a custom action down the road. I love ARC actions and don’t need much of an excuse to just say the hell with it and order one. I also don’t want this one to go to waste though so I figured I need to do something cool with it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you're not sentimentally attached to it, sell it and use the proceeds towards the action you want.

I am the poors and built mine "One piece at a time" over almost 40 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    If you're not sentimentally attached to it, sell it and use the proceeds towards the action you want.

I am the poors and built mine "One piece at a time" over almost 40 years.
    The local gun shops would give me 100 bucks for it because it’s lefty. I’m not gonna make any money selling it so I’m gonna keep it lol