Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Extractor's

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    BKings has billet extractors for 9.95.

Surplusammo.com has individual extractors also.
    Another unknown.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I've seen plenty of broken extractors, but of course it involved truck loads of corporate or govt ammo
    In your experience, have you seen more that lost the complete end, or more that were chipped and just lost an edge or corner?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Seen both, more so complete loss. I would say that if someone was so concerned with losing an extractor that for piece of mind simply replace it at x interval. Than it's the rabbit hole of what is "x"?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    In your experience, have you seen more that lost the complete end, or more that were chipped and just lost an edge or corner?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Seen both, more so complete loss. I would say that if someone was so concerned with losing an extractor that for piece of mind simply replace it at x interval. Than it's the rabbit hole of what is "x"?
    Could just tape one with a spring to your next buffer spring and pop them in at the same time. Still, nothings guaranteed with mechanical stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Could just tape one with a spring to your next buffer spring and pop them in at the same time. Still, nothings guaranteed with mechanical stuff.
    That was my thought. Change when you hit around 5k on your action spring.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Long ago I found a report from a mil unit that outlined failure rates. It was bracketed and they came up with number based on averages, choosing the lower end. I wish I had saved it as I was never able to locate it again, based on the title and address, I don't think it was supposed to see the light of day.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Oh, and during the baseline reliability* study, the extractor ranked 6th on the list of replaceable items, after such heavy hitters as the barrel, bolt and hammer spring, but ahead of the gas rings and hammer.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _
    * Forty M16s and M4s, some shooting up to 18,000 rounds.
    Last edited by lysander; 03-31-23 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Oh, and during the baseline reliability* study, the extractor ranked 6th on the list of replaceable items, after such heavy hitters as the barrel, bolt and hammer spring, but ahead of the gas rings and hammer.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Can you share that baseline reliability study?

Is the forty M16's, M4's, and 18,000 rounds in reference to the bent ejector?
    Last edited by prepare; 04-01-23 at 02:23.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post

_ _ _ _ _ _ _
    It took days of casting our line to reel you into this thread!

(damn... I should buy some hammer springs. I've never changed one)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast